Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eskdale Elevation

Quote Originally Posted by lwarby View Post
    Thanks to you Geoff, Dave and team of helpers. A cracking day, great route with interesting route choices, will be fascinating to see which lines become the most favoured in future years.
    Echoing Leigh's comments, many thanks to all involved.

Next time I'll be taking a different route from Whin Rigg to Scafell....less traversing if possible.

Scafell to Eel Tarn...on Saturday I dropped straight from Scafell heading towards Broad Tongue, then ran beneath Raven Crag.
    Would staying high towards Slight Side have been a better route?

Choices aplenty....loved it.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Brilliant day out! MrRTS has a new favourite race. His Race 7 of 50@50. He will be back for this one next year! Not sure about route choices on the hills I'm going to check out the route choice going home next time. MrRTS thought we would try Hardknott Pass! Flipping heck, had to dig my fingernails out the dash board by the time we got over that :-/ Race write up and photos here if anyone would like to take a gander :-)
    https://plus.google.com/114550169192...ts/LYmhNRQEKK6 Thank you so much to all who made it happen. Super race.

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post

Next time I'll be taking a different route from Whin Rigg to Scafell....less traversing if possible.

Scafell to Eel Tarn...on Saturday I dropped straight from Scafell heading towards Broad Tongue, then ran beneath Raven Crag.

It was fascinating watching all the route choices from my radio control point on top of Great Barrow. From the moment you past the peat huts where 70 runners fanned out across the moor to all the different lines approaching Eel Tarn. I think John Heneghan left Scafell in first place and took your route Daz, whereas John Helme looked as if he came from Stony Tarn and arrived at Eel Tarn well in the lead.

This was one of the things that the RO was really keen on - providing lots of route choice.

Glad you all enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceTheSweeper View Post
    Brilliant day out! MrRTS has a new favourite race. His Race 7 of 50@50. He will be back for this one next year! Not sure about route choices on the hills I'm going to check out the route choice going home next time. MrRTS thought we would try Hardknott Pass! Flipping heck, had to dig my fingernails out the dash board by the time we got over that :-/ Race write up and photos here if anyone would like to take a gander :-)
    https://plus.google.com/114550169192...ts/LYmhNRQEKK6 Thank you so much to all who made it happen. Super race.
    Great Blog, thanks for sharing.
    All the best with your remaining races.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    I think John Heneghan left Scafell in first place and took your route Daz, whereas John Helme looked as if he came from Stony Tarn and arrived at Eel Tarn well in the lead.

This was one of the things that the RO was really keen on - providing lots of route choice.

Glad you all enjoyed it.
    'Twas a cracker Geoff, probably the most off-the-beaten-track race I've done in the Lakes and all the better for it. From Scafell I went via Stony Tarn as it's a route I know and that seemed to work well. However that may only have been because Quagrigg Moss was dry as a bone - if it's wet that bit can be a right quagmire (hence the name maybe). A few beers in the afternoon, then spent Sunday chuckling at people trying to get up Hardknott Pass on the Fred Whitton challenge - great weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    It was fascinating watching all the route choices from my radio control point on top of Great Barrow. From the moment you past the peat huts where 70 runners fanned out across the moor to all the different lines approaching Eel Tarn. I think John Heneghan left Scafell in first place and took your route Daz, whereas John Helme looked as if he came from Stony Tarn and arrived at Eel Tarn well in the lead.

Glad you all enjoyed it.
    Hi Geoff

Lakeland races ever present Leigh Warbarton once again showed his impressive fell credentials. He was behind me at the summit of Scafell and unsurprisingly the next time I see him he's enjoying a sip of water at the finish. Leigh said he took the Great Lakes route to Slight side and cut down the fell from there on....impressive stuff.

Great Blog, thanks for sharing.
    All the best with your remaining races.
    Thanks, it was a brilliant day. See you at one of the others before the 51 hits! This one is a keeper for next year though. Next week South Mynd (another unknown to everyone) :-)

Quote Originally Posted by RaceTheSweeper View Post
    Thanks, it was a brilliant day. See you at one of the others before the 51 hits! This one is a keeper for next year though. Next week South Mynd (another unknown to everyone) :-)
    See you there all being well....it looks very interesting, another route choice epic day out?

Tindersticks - I was with you for most of the way to scafell (I was the one huffing and puffing and swearing with you up scafell in the CFR vest).

I think the traverse off whinn rigg is probably the best. Another CFR vest dropped straight down to the track to avoid the traverse but he reckons he lost about 2 minutes on other runners he was with who continued on the traverse. The other option is to carry on over on the path but about 100m of climb here.
    I dropped straight down to Oliver Gill - strava traces are all over the place. I've no idea which the quickest way back is from Scafell. I think the way I went via Oliver Gill is probably best in bad weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    Tindersticks - I was with you for most of the way to scafell (I was the one huffing and puffing and swearing with you up scafell in the CFR vest).

I think the traverse off whinn rigg is probably the best. Another CFR vest dropped straight down to the track to avoid the traverse but he reckons he lost about 2 minutes on other runners he was with who continued on the traverse. The other option is to carry on over on the path but about 100m of climb here.
    I dropped straight down to Oliver Gill - strava traces are all over the place. I've no idea which the quickest way back is from Scafell. I think the way I went via Oliver Gill is probably best in bad weather.
    Hi Bobster

Interesting stuff on the route choices.

What I did notice is you dropping like a stone from Scafell, that was some great descending over tricky terrain that you did there pal.

Roll on next year.