Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Break from running?

Break from running?

I was reading somewhere about training and one person suggested having a month or so off running each year. Anyone do this and what was the outcome – seems to me you would lose all your fitness?

I'd have an "easy" month, but don't think I'd take a whole month off...more for the fact that I'd get a bit bored without having races, ha ha
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

I have a "relaxed" month in July when I have a lot of work commitments. I don't lose all of my fitness, but I do feel less fit at the end of it and have to work a bit to regain it
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Noel has the whole winter off i think.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Noel has the whole winter off i think.
    I used to as I always got run down if I tried to keep going. This year I decided to keep ticking over. But since making this decision, I've been struck down with a very bad cold so haven't run for over a week now and am still feeling run down. So I might have to have a few weeks off after all.

And yes, I lose a lot of fitness. It takes March to early May to get back to peak fitness again. I think if you can keep going (even just ticking over) you probably should.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I used to as I always got run down if I tried to keep going. This year I decided to keep ticking over. But since making this decision, I've been struck down with a very bad cold so haven't run for over a week now and am still feeling run down. So I might have to have a few weeks off after all.

And yes, I lose a lot of fitness. It takes March to early May to get back to peak fitness again. I think if you can keep going (even just ticking over) you probably should.
    I had that cold a month or so ago, that's if it's the one everyone's on about. I managed to only drop 1 session and manned the rest, i couldn't eat properly for 2 days at one point.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I've just had 3 weeks "off" after the 6-stage. "Off" for me is just running when I feel like it, no sessions, no mileage targets. I didn't run at all for the middle week as it coincided with halfterm so I was doing family stuff. Did my first session back last night - very tough! I'm sure I'll be back to full fitness in a few weeks.

Feel up for the winter now.

Banned
    I've not run since Bofra Burnsall 13 Sept.
    Pacemaker fitted mid October.
    Back to consultant 25 Nov
    Itching to get back training & racing

Will have to see what happens with the legs & lungs

Quote Originally Posted by luxinterior View Post
    I was reading somewhere about training and one person suggested having a month or so off running each year. Anyone do this and what was the outcome – seems to me you would lose all your fitness?
    I think you may be right about losing fitness, but it will depend on many factors such as your age and the amount of running you do generally. As someone who is now 50 plus I'm steering clear of any potentially 'slippery slope' regarding performance. I've already noticed that I have to train even harder (core ex etc.)just to retain muscle tone, etc. Besides, if I go for more than a day or two without running I can become really tetchy and mean to be around so a whole month (scary!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg5gpf--RIo
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    I think you may be right about losing fitness, but it will depend on many factors such as your age and the amount of running you do generally. As someone who is now 50 plus I'm steering clear of any potentially 'slippery slope' regarding performance. I've already noticed that I have to train even harder (core ex etc.)just to retain muscle tone, etc. Besides, if I go for more than a day or two without running I can become really tetchy and mean to be around so a whole month (scary!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg5gpf--RIo
    I seem to be like that as well, Mossdog...Only noticed the past week or so as I've been barely running due to niggles in my hamstring tendons but my mood seems to be shocking when I don't get out!!
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC