Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Full tour of Pendle 2015

Full tour of Pendle 2015

I'm unfortunately injured, twisted my ankle doing the Lyke Wake Race and ran 16 miles on it after as didn't want to DNF, still not right ,
    I have a number for the Full Tour Of Pendle this weekend, if anyone wants it, it's yours

Quote Originally Posted by protodoc View Post
    I'm unfortunately injured, twisted my ankle doing the Lyke Wake Race and ran 16 miles on it after as didn't want to DNF, still not right ,
    I have a number for the Full Tour Of Pendle this weekend, if anyone wants it, it's yours
    Contact kieran carr the race organiser.he has a full reserve list and works endlessly trying to fit everyone in

The Full Tour turned out to be a Three Quarters Tour after the decision was taken to heed forecasts of extreme weather later in the day and axe the last two climbs.
    Very sensible in my view; organisers have to face the consequences if anything goes amiss and have the unenviable job of weighing up the available information and making a judgement call.
    Despite the weather, most of the 500 entered turned up; I think I heard someone say that over 420 started.

It was still an excellent race and great value. Despite being shorter, it remained far from being an easy stroll.
    Did I miss having to do the last two climbs?
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

I too think the organisers decision to slightly shorten the race in distance was right. It is not just the runners who have to be taken in to consideration as there were many a
    helpers who would have out in those conditions as well. I did enjoy the revised route and it still is not an easy course.

Agree with the above. The marshals, especially on days like today, are a god send, felt for them in that weather!

Decision to shorten it was the correct one IMO, and my legs agreed when I was slapping the tarmac back to the waterworks to finish. Still a tough route and made that little bit tougher/more fun with the downpour of the past few days or so.

Many thanks to Kieran Carr & all marshals/organisers
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Thanks to all those who followed race instructions and pinned a number in the required place - high on the front, not covered by a strap, and clearly visible. Many just lifted or unzipped a top, which was great. Anything else makes it so hard to record numbers accurately when runners pass through closely grouped. Calling out a number can be misheard,miscalled, and numbers on the back of a rucsac are no help to a marshal whatsoever.
    DT - DPFR - Check Point 9.

Last nights weather forecast for Saturday was pretty dire. Blustery this, torrential that, flooding here and Amber warnings there....basically it's gonna be shite, but you won't here that on the BBC.

Yet, 421 fellrunner's turn up in Barley for one of the toughest races of the year. I think that number speaks volumes for the pulling power of this sport and the people who participate in it.

On arrival in the village hall Kieran made the announcement that he was shortening the route. The Amber warnings for a midday storm had forced his hand. With Kieran's experience and the respect he holds amongst us runners I never heard any grumbles...and rightfully so.

Credit for still presenting us with a cracking route. I clocked it at 13.92 miles and really enjoyed the course....but it threw me in how to pace the race.

When doing the Full Tour it's all about getting your pacing right, if you don't Big End becomes your worst nightmare. Whilst today's route missed off Mearley and Big End, I wasn't alone in still being in Full Tour mode. It took me until check point 5 to get my act together. I've always felt racing is as much mental strength as physical strength...and today I should have been more mental.

Rob Hope obviously judged it right and had another flier...to be fair I think Rob just runs balls out in every race such is his class. Great run also from young Chris H and not so young Ian Holmes...incredible athlete.

Many thanks to all concerned for today's race, for what remains arguably the best value race in the calendar.

Finally congratulations to Kieran who was presented with a trophy for winning the English V70 championship....yes you've read that right, v70....he doesn't look a day over 50, the Peter Pan of Pendle.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post

I should have been more mental.

Oh you are very mental Sir, I can assure you of that.

Great report Daz.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Good un' Daz, but you're selling us short . 422 registered and I was with "Mapper" of this parish when he counted the 422nd into the start area.

A friend of mine was marshalling at CP 4 / 11 and he informed me that not all 422 made it to CP 4.

When I strolled past CP 11 he had 406 on his clicker / counter and only another 6 or 7 passed me before another friend passed who was sweeping the back end of the course ( the sweepers had a hand-over at CP 4 ).

Ian.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 14-11-2015 at 11:08 PM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!