Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dogs

Dogs

Might be getting a pooch to piss off everyone else out on the hills.
    Just need some tips on what is needed in terms of gear (for winter really).

Rain coat? Thermal? Doggy honey sandwiches?

Medium sized pooch, mongrel looks like shes crossed with a Border Collie and German Shepard, without the low bum. (Currently only 6 months old, off to see her tomorrow).

Ta!

* Obviously she won't be off on any runs beyond 1 hour until she's built strength..
    Last edited by Mathew; 15-11-2015 at 07:59 PM.

Hey up Mathew
    Some good advice herehttp://www.outdoorsmagic.com/outdoor...dog/14637.html

Have fun.

Obviously she won't be off on any runs beyond 1 hour until she's built strength
    it's not strength you want to be worried about: at that age their bones and joints aren't properly formed. A good rule of thumb is that for every month of the pup’s age, they should receive five minutes of exercise.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    it's not strength you want to be worried about: at that age their bones and joints aren't properly formed. A good rule of thumb is that for every month of the pup’s age, they should receive five minutes of exercise.

Excellent, thanks for the info from both! And for the doggy training!

I'll have a word with the kennel as well about time outside, I wouldn't take her road running till shes 1 year +.. It'll be steady soft hills

Cheers!

good advice from the others on going very steady on distance with a young dog. Distances should be really short until the dog is fully grown and then distance should only be upped gradually. Just because the dog is enthusiastic about running doesn't mean it is good for it! I've a friend who ran a lot with her dog when it was a pup and now the poor thing has all sorts of issues with its hips.

My dog has a couple of these fleeces: https://www.equafleece.co.uk/store/dog_jumpers.html

They seem expensive, but last for years and wash and dry really well. They're great for drying out and warming up in the car or pub after a run, or if it is really cold they are good for the dog to wear whilst running. The added bonus then is that when you take it off the dog is pretty clean underneath - that's very handy if you're running before work and don't have time to bath the dog as well as yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Shuffle View Post
    good advice from the others on going very steady on distance with a young dog.

My dog has a couple of these fleeces: https://www.equafleece.co.uk/store/dog_jumpers.html

They seem expensive, but last for years and wash and dry really well.
    Cheers for the info, yeah I'll go easy on her then.. She needs to learn to stick behind me anyway.. I'll take her out on some fell walks instead. Need to get a training lead so she can learn not to round up the sheep.

Very stylish fleeces, Walsh should make some dog PBs! (Joke).

it'll definitely be worth building up the dog for running Mathew. Always enthusiastic and with no expectation of conversation they're the best running buddy you could have

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathew View Post
    Very stylish fleeces, Walsh should make some dog PBs! (Joke).
    Somebody beat them to it!
    http://www.ruffwear.co.uk/best-selle...oots-grip-trex
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I have a border collie x GSD too (Mungo the mad!) Best running buddy I have ever had and has no problem keeping up with my pace. He is now about 2 and 1/2 years old - not exactly sure on age as he was a rescue.

Make sure you heed the warning above as hip dysplasia is quite common amongst GSDs and so you shouldn't try anythin too taxing until he is mature enough. At least 9 months but I would say 12 months to be sure. Then steady increase in mileage/pace. Mungo is now quite happy with a full day out in the hills.
    A coat is not normally required unless its very wet and windy in which case I do have a waterproof jacket for him.
    Hot dry conditions can be more of problem - dogs cannot control their heat very well and so are probably best left at home when it's very warm. Also keep an eye on paws - Mungo did have some damage to his pads a while ago. Not sure how much was connected to running but it was after a long dry period when all the paths were dry, dusty and rough in places. Plenty of paw wax to keep them supple and lay off the rough surfaces for a while will sort that out though.
    Make sure you provide plenty of water after a run and during if its a long one. I carry a collapsible bowl in my bumbag and fill it up from streams when I stop for a drink. I usually take him a few nibbles too!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I think others have emphasised the steady on the training point for a young dog.

I have a waterproof coat that wraps around the chest and belly, loosely so not to restrict breathing. A high-vis mesh type coat for when its not cold or raining but im out at night. Both of these I clip flashing lights to, so I can track the dog in complete darkness. I also hate extendable leads but these can be useful with a untrained or young dog ... be careful of getting tripped up though and a collapsible bowl is excellent. Always take some snacks for the pooch as they also get hungry.

I would advise on chipping the dog as well, just in case they get away and get lost, be that on the hills or at home.