Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dogs

Good advice here.
    My comment would be to spend a LOT of time training the dog to run to heel on command., This is crucial, especially with regards to traffic, other runners and, most importantly, livestock. With my dogs, I would spend a lot of time running them at heel on a lead through livestock, then introduce slow walks until any desire to 'go off' was completely controlled. Only then would I introduce off lead running, initially at some distance away. My first (and best) dog got this completely and would run so tight to me that, at a distance, there was no way you could tell she was off lead.

That being said, the lead was used whenever an expected interface with animals occurred. The training gave me confidence that I could control her if we unexpectedly came across livestock or were on open fell with loose animals.

Still miss that Jen!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Good advice here.
    My comment would be to spend a LOT of time training the dog to run to heel on command., This is crucial, especially with regards to traffic, other runners and, most importantly, livestock. With my dogs, I would spend a lot of time running them at heel on a lead through livestock, then introduce slow walks until any desire to 'go off' was completely controlled. Only then would I introduce off lead running, initially at some distance away. My first (and best) dog got this completely and would run so tight to me that, at a distance, there was no way you could tell she was off lead.

That being said, the lead was used whenever an expected interface with animals occurred. The training gave me confidence that I could control her if we unexpectedly came across livestock or were on open fell with loose animals.

Still miss that Jen!
    Absolutely - the ability to run at heel (when required) and a strong recall are totally necessary before letting the dog off-lead. Until then a non-extendible but reasonably long lead that you can attach to your waist are a great accessory that leaves your hands free for other things. There are expensive CanniX leads made from bungee cord but got one of these 1/2 price a while a go which fits the bill.
    http://www.ruffwear.co.uk/dog-gear/l...flat-out-solid

I'm sure there are other similar (and cheaper) alternatives out there.
    Mungo always goes on the lead on or near roads and around horses as he still gets spooked by them.
    Even after I thought I had perfected the recall with him, he still managed to get so nervous after an unexpected encounter with one that he ran off. A very worrying 20 minutes or so then ensued while I retraced my steps in the direction we had just run. I found him sitting patiently by the side of the campervan waiting from me to return. Slightly alarming that he had had to jump a couple of stiles and cross a road to get there but no harm done and I've learnt an important lesson!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

...and an emergency 'stay' or 'down' are also good to have in the kitbag. Comes in useful when mountain bikers suddenly appear from nowhere!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Make sure you heed the warning above as hip dysplasia is quite common amongst GSDs and so you shouldn't try anythin too taxing until he is mature enough.
    A quick update on hip dysplasia - its actually a genetic disease so, if a dogs parents don't have it, the pup won't get it. If the dog has the genetic flaw, its thought that it can be brought on earlier in its life by over exercise but, that said, its also thought that fit dogs with well developed muscles might delay the onset. Sprinting and twisting running for a puppy (chasing and jumping after frisbees etc) are more likely to cause problems than just 'normal' running - most dogs run when out for a walk anyway. I guess running on soft ground in the hills and woods is also better for a dog than running on pavement. Also over feeding as a pup can equally be a problem. Lastly bigger breeds are more likely to get it than small although its also pretty common in border collies. More info can be found here
    Last edited by Stolly; 18-11-2015 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    A quick update on hip dysplasia - its actually a genetic disease so, if a dogs parents don't have it, the pup won't get it. If the dog has the genetic flaw, its thought that it can be brought on earlier in its life by over exercise but, that said, its also thought that fit dogs with well developed muscles might delay the onset. Sprinting and twisting running for a puppy (chasing and jumping after frisbees etc) are more likely to cause problems than just 'normal' running - most dogs run when out for a walk anyway. I guess running on soft ground in the hills and woods is also better for a dog than running on pavement. Also over feeding as a pup can equally be a problem. Lastly bigger breeds are more likely to get it than small although its also pretty common in border collies. More info can be found here
    Good advice - thanks for clarifying. As mungo was a rescue, we had no info on his genetic make up other than he was almost certainly a collie x gsd both of which are prone so best not take the risk.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

When I got my border collie from the rescue,for part of his training I'd take him onto the fells with a long length of cheap plastic covered washing line. That way I could let it drag on the ground easily and if he tried to bolt (only once or twice) i could 'impede' his progress and haul him back. Eventually he was hardly ever on the lead and a great companion. I feel sorry for the owners and for the dogs when i see people out walking their dogs and both are pulling against each other.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by sore legs View Post
    I would advise on chipping the dog as well, just in case they get away and get lost, be that on the hills or at home.
    Worth reminding everyone that microchipping dogs is a legal requirement as of April next year.

Wow some excellent info!

Aye Rosie is chipped (rescue dog), I'll be getting her next week. She's coming up to 7 months (next week).. Going to get a recall lead, introduce her to some gentle hills (round warton / silverdale) do 30 minute walks, train her to stick by my heel or run off on command.

Found out she's not German Shepard, no one is quite sure.. Obvious Collie

She is beautiful! Good luck with the training - plenty of advice on here I'm sure. Just be patient and I'm sure your reward will be a happy devoted running buddy!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast