Thread: London Flatlands

London Flatlands

I am predominantly a road runner doing 50 miles a week in London and just missed the ballot for the Snowdon marathon. I am planning to enter the OMM when the ballot opens but am concerned about how to get the terrain training in. The mileage is no problem (it will be my second marathon this year) but the flatlands of London make it difficult to train for mountainous terrain!
    Any suggestions of how to get the best training in? Or is the only option to get out to the Lakes or something as many weekends as I can?

Re: London Flatlands

Breacon Beacons are only a couple of hours away. Peaks are not too bad to get to either.

North Downs - some of the country parks like at Box Hill or Vigo;
    Epping Forest - home of one of the only (unregistered) fell races in Essex;
    Parliament Hill
    None of the hills are as long as the proper areas, but if you can't get away every weekend they're not too bad

Made the move across forums? :-)

The Peak offers quite a bit. Train to Edale/Hathersage and go for a bog trot for a few days. Where is it next year?

Things like the OMM and the longer fell races are quite different from long road runs, as much akin to a long mountain walks as runs.

You'll have good fitness anyway from the road running but I'd try and get used to longer days out and carrying a pack. This doesn't have to be running, just geting used to carrying not much gear, what are the essentials, etc.

I had this problem when I lived there and used to go up, down and aronund Hampstead Heath - but not at night Depending on which part of London you live in the Chilterns are in easy reach and the South Downs offer some fine hills. Mail me if you like and I can point you in the right direction on the Downs.

You’ll able to get some climbs in somewhere presumably, but the biggest problem will be adapting to the terrain. Fell terrain is vastly different to road, in that it is totally unpredictable and uneven. You can’t settle into a rhythm like you can on the road, and it will soon sap even the fittest road runner if they’re not used to it. I’ve had the same problem living in the flat suburbs of Manchester. Things I’ve thought of are:

Running ladders (as used in football). They’ll help foot speed.

Running in and out of tyres (as in the army).

Step machines

Slalom style, quick, in and out of cones type running.

Doing endless laps of boggy football pitches.

Hope this helps.