Thread: Marl Pits xc

Marl Pits xc

When we arrived today I said to my mate that we're in for a good day. A telltale sign it's going to be 'interesting' is if the kids are looking none to happy after their leg....they looked slightly miffed to say the least.

My mate said "kids running cross country in these conditions is the 21st century form of making them chimney sweep". He has a point, but scurrying up a chimney would be cleaner!

To be fair, all the youngsters I saw having a hot drink in the clubhouse after were buzzing....proper character building.

It's a three lap undulating course ran over extremely wet and muddy playing fields which lead to the woods. The wooded section is great ( if you like knee deep mud and slippery climbs and descents ) and it's here where the fell runners feel at home. Unfortunately the best descent through the woods was slightly re-routed...understandable really, it would have been very tricky today.

There is also a brilliant muddy slope to slide,fall,skid,tumble down which separates the upper and lower playing fields. This descent attracts a large crowd of spectators awaiting some comedy bum-sliding....their patience is usually rewarded.

Marl Pits is a fantastic cross country course, my favourite by a ( muddy ) mile... thanks to all involved.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Definitely my favourite XC course too, although the "roadies" I asked don't enjoy it as much, might be a fell runners course, as Darren said!

Massive respect to all the marshals & organisers. It's one of those, when you think it's a bit cold/rough running, I always think I'm quite glad to be moving around (albeit at a slow pace, ha!)

Thanks all at Rossendale!
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Our Cross Country Secretary spent a full 5 days on the course trimming, hacking and sawing to make the course runnable. Each year it gets overgrown and needs a considerable amount of work done on it. The first section is the Liver Hill fell race route out and back. It's certainly a cross country course with a twist but ever popular.

Done some cross country does it count as er for fell races ...how do you no if you have enough er...should I just jump in ...after all its only running uo then down again..Rupert B reckons so ..any good around rossendale ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Our Cross Country Secretary spent a full 5 days on the course trimming, hacking and sawing to make the course runnable. Each year it gets overgrown and needs a considerable amount of work done on it. The first section is the Liver Hill fell race route out and back. It's certainly a cross country course with a twist but ever popular.
    Hi Graham

Blimey! Mr Secretary must've had a tough time of it marking out the route, hope wellies were worn....many thanks.

Already looking forward to Liver Hill. Great little race...and it's free!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Bill. View Post
    Done some cross country does it count as er for fell races ...how do you no if you have enough er...should I just jump in ...after all its only running uo then down again..Rupert B reckons so ..any good around rossendale ?
    Bill. I have seen you write a few posts expressing trepidation re doing a fell race. My advice is just go and do one, preferable a shortish one that is likely to be marshalled/marked. If you have run XC or road you will be fine.