Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cross Country or Fell.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Bill. View Post
    Which is tougher ,not much fell racing in Winter AW says so...never see XC runners all dressed up in waterpoofs..
    Fantastic run today , better than many a fell this one,what a cracker.
    Well done all today,what a great atmosphere SELCC has .
    Big thanks to the organisers , officials & brilliant marshals.
    South East Lancashire Cross Country League.
    More like a " fell Race " than cross-country ...great stuff.
    www.race-results.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I used to read Anglers Mail (and never the Angling Times). At the start of the season they used to give away free gifts eg a spool of line or a float. Does AW give away free drugs and that?
    Heard a rumour there would be some freebies on offer at the last match of the Manchester XC league today at Wythenshawe Park .....only available to proper runners .

Super Moderator
    Kenyan?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I've read through this thread a couple of times and I still don't see the point that BB is making. That cross country runners are tougher because they don't even wear full waterproofs maybe ? For sure the pro fell running article that BB linked looked a bit rubbish too so perhaps BB is making a rubbish pro cross country point to counterbalance the rubbish pro fell running one?

Master
    Athletics Weekly produced another article last week on training for fell running. I have to say it was poor, generalist and not worthy of a serious running/athletics magazine. kind of thing you get in Sunday newspapers at the start of a New Year, trying to sell the latest exercise fad!. I am very glad to see AW reporting on fell, but doing such a poor job of it is pointless, as indeed is the XC v Fell debate. they are both separate but have an overlap too.

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    Athletics Weekly produced another article last week on training for fell running. I have to say it was poor, generalist and not worthy of a serious running/athletics magazine. kind of thing you get in Sunday newspapers at the start of a New Year, trying to sell the latest exercise fad!. I am very glad to see AW reporting on fell, but doing such a poor job of it is pointless, as indeed is the XC v Fell debate. they are both separate but have an overlap too.
    I just had a read through it, I thought it was OK as an intro to fell running article. This week you can read my incisive report on the Birmingham & District XC league and marvel at a snap or two from picturesque Wolverhampton !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    I just had a read through it, I thought it was OK as an intro to fell running article. This week you can read my incisive report on the Birmingham & District XC league and marvel at a snap or two from picturesque Wolverhampton !
    Dominion. I look forward to it! Re the fell running article, it was a bit lightweight and didn't say anything that most people wouldn't gather anyway. At Notts AC where we have some very good X/C runners, they are all loathe to get out on the fells. They will say to me at XC races, " a bit short for you this one" under a misconception that fell is all about 20/30/40 miles out on the hills. Others say to me they wouldn't want to do it because so much of it involves walking and its not proper running. Therefore I think an article could explain more about what fell running involves, where you can do it, what races are best for runners who would like to try it out etc, catergories etc.

I remember a time though when fell racing was a summer sport or certainly most organisers decided that their race would be a summer event. Slowly over the years it's evolved into an all year round sport and some races are certainly better for having the added battling the elements scenario. Many fell runners run CC and there's no better prep for racing the fells and increasingly fell runners are tuning out in numbers in Cyclo cross.