Thread: Cumbria Bridge Closures

Cumbria Bridge Closures

Thought it might be useful to have a thread keeping track of this. I'm sure there will be lots more but the ones I'm aware of at the moment are:-

Ambleside - both bridges at the exit from the park to the road under Loughrigg are closed.

Threlkeld Railway Line - the bridge on the line near to where the road comes down from Latrigg at the Threlkeld end has gone. I don't know about any of the others either side of it. The footbridge between the top of that road and the Blencathra Centre is badly damaged but the beck was low enough to cross with care last week.

For anyone travelling on the A6 to or from Penrith Eamont Bridge is closed - theres a diversion round it by Brougham, the M6 is a better option unless you live north of Shap.

Pooley Bridge has been washed away - if you are travelling for a run in the Helvellyn area go round by the A66 and Rheged or Troutbeck. I don't know the state of the Kirkstone road for any of a southern persuasion heading that way. If heading for that area from the other side the A591 is closed north of Dunmail.

If you want to by pass Kendal the bridge on the back road from Burneside was closed today.

I saw on the BG thread that the Newsham Bridge was closed pending an inspection.

As I said there will be many more, these are just the ones I'm aware of but it might help with planning runs.
    Last edited by Mark G; 14-12-2015 at 06:08 PM.

Well posted Mark, thank you, there are two bridges lost on the railway and the boardwalk section has been undermined and is closed. Greta Bridge (by the Pencil Museum) is still closed and the road under Cat Bells is open at each end but nothing left in the middle to join up. The metal footbridge at the top of Stanger Street (BG access bridge into Fitz Park) has also gone. I'm aware that several landslips have modified/removed sections of path and tracks, so come for an adventure but be prepared for some detours!
    A circular route mostly downhill

Is there still good access to Langdale and Coniston from Ambleside. I've quite a bit of work coming up that way and it would be good to get a heads up on potential problems.

Master
    Access to both is as usual.

As of last night, Newsham Bridge (heading from Threlkeld to Clough Head) was open although I have heard that inspections are ongoing and bridges are being closed. Not sure if Newsham Bridge has been inspected.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Things are changing fast in some places, Greta Bridge is open now, but a bridge in Langdale was closed after inspection - but sorry missed the detail of which one - the footbridge from Portinscale is closed awaiting inspection. But trying to find information that has not just gone out of date is proving difficult, I've joined paths only to find closed signs at the other end and others where you realise there is no sign and no path.
    A circular route mostly downhill