Thread: Free 10K Trail Runs

Free 10K Trail Runs

Could the National trust idea of Free Monthly 10K trail races be the easiest progression route for parkrunners/roadies ? It would certainly be safer than having people just turning up for fell races.
    Is the FRA going to produce a flyer for entrants to fell races explaining there responsibilities to themselves and all involved....ER seems to cause a fair bit of confusion ,could this be clarified for newcomers..

I had not heard of them but they sound like a good idea to me (http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/feat...st10-trail-run if you are interested).

Quote Originally Posted by redeaston View Post
    I had not heard of them but they sound like a good idea to me (http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/feat...st10-trail-run if you are interested).
    Thanks Redeaston for putting that link up .
    I think this kind of run is much better for the navigationally challenged / inexperienced .
    It will also take pressure of popular areas, make for shorter journeys which can only be better for the environment...happy days Free Trail runs in lovely countryside surroundings ..

yeah, I was going to do High Cup Nick on Feb 28th but think I'll do the Speke Hall 10k instead: after all it's so much less driving and I feel bad adding to the pressure on the fells. Safer too, so an all round win! I wonder if you get some sort of goodie bag?
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    yeah, I was going to do High Cup Nick on Feb 28th but think I'll do the Speke Hall 10k instead: after all it's so much less driving and I feel bad adding to the pressure on the fells. Safer too, so an all round win! I wonder if you get some sort of goodie bag?
    Dave I did suggest it would be good for the inexperienced,so why be so derogatory about an event which for say a parkrunner would be a big step up...Club mentality again ��
    Lighten up it's Xmas �� Season of Smiles ��
    Personally I like the occasional parkrun as do lots of other fell runners...��

As an enthusiastic parkrunner, I was inspired by the idea of something similar but longer, without the baggage of entry fees, goody bags, medals, T-shirts etc etc. that usually go with 10k races. BUT they are all programmed to start at 9am on Sundays, thus excluding anyone not either a car owner or a local. Does this perhaps reflect the middle class assumptions of the National Trust? (And a lack of any real concern for the environment?)
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    BUT they are all programmed to start at 9am on Sundays, thus excluding anyone not either a car owner or a local. Does this perhaps reflect the middle class assumptions of the National Trust? (And a lack of any real concern for the environment?)
    Yes, Alexandra, that's what I thought when I looked at the website (hoping there might be a 10k at Calke Park, a rather nice NT property near me). I presume the 9am start time is to get it finished before the crowds of day-trippers arrive. But why not Saturday, so that public transport can be used? And why not 5pm or 6pm on Saturday (from March onwards), after the crowds have left? My legs seem to work better at 6pm than 9am, and that would be good to work up an appetite for dinner.