Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recovery Foods

Beer! If it was good enough for Arthur Lydiard then it's good enough for me. Might have a litre of milk first after a long training run in the summer.
    Dan Wilkinson - Ilkley Harriers

Master
    Remember that alcohol has the opposite effect on muscle that testosterone has - all that hard training partly wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly Knee View Post
    Im a big fan of turmeric as an anti-inflammatory/viral/oxidant/septic. Chuck a bit of black pepper with it and it increases its bio-availability by around 600%. Tastes pretty good n'all.
    Mate of mine who is from southern India makes a turmeric paste and sticks on wounds/bites as a healing accelerant and antiseptic.
    Does anyone know if cooking ginger alters it's efficacy btw?
    Had plenty of turmeric in todays VEGETARIAN recovery soup also added some very thinly sliced Spanish chorizo having heard about the benefits of the nitrates in it + I think its good to avoid dairy products once a week ��...will be back on it tomos ,got some lovely Stilton Mmmm.��

Bbc r4 'the food programme' running special on radio iplayer at moment. Interviews with Scott jurek, Christopher mcdougall, Brendan foster and others all about nutrition for runners. Second episode next month. It's worth a listen and recovery nutrition gets a mention too

cheers for the heads up! Shall listen later as I make my Rocket Fuel flapjack for Sunday's race!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by jackd View Post
    Bbc r4 'the food programme' running special on radio iplayer at moment. Interviews with Scott jurek, Christopher mcdougall, Brendan foster and others all about nutrition for runners. Second episode next month. It's worth a listen and recovery nutrition gets a mention too
    Did it mention how Black pudding is / has been recognized as a superfood ,also was there owt about vegans being more prone to injury or hypochondria ?

Quote Originally Posted by jackd View Post
    Watch trust me I'm a doctor...it blew away many preconceptions. They tested protein recovery drinks under lab conditions which were proved to be of zero benefit to any one with a healthy diet.

Anti oxidant drinks were actually proved to reduce the levels in your blood...

Lots on fat reduction which is different for men and women...

it raised a few more questions from me but definitely worth a watch

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...es-4-episode-1

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Watch trust me I'm a doctor...it blew away many preconceptions. They tested protein recovery drinks under lab conditions which were proved to be of zero benefit to any one with a healthy diet.

Anti oxidant drinks were actually proved to reduce the levels in your blood...

Lots on fat reduction which is different for men and women...

it raised a few more questions from me but definitely worth a watch

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...es-4-episode-1
    Thanks Ian will have a watch of this later .
    The message that WE should get across to the kids is -
    NO SHORTCUTS ,NO SILLY ENERGY PRODUCTS,A HEALTHY DIET is all you need ,this involves eating a wide variety of foods ,some of which should only be eaten in moderation.
    Jam butties for fuel ⛽ Full fat cows milk for kids ( semi-skimmed for adults)is The best recovery drink .

read the label on the side of a recovery drink.

The one I read had 2 collumns
    The first told you all the nutrients you would get if you mixed the powder with water
    The second told you all the nutrients you would get if you mixed the powder with milk

The values in the second collumn were twice the values in the first collumn,

which takes us back to the original post, pretty much

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    cheers for the heads up! Shall listen later as I make my Rocket Fuel flapjack for Sunday's race!
    Fancy sharing that recipe?