Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most prestigious race?

Most prestigious race?

Gonna head over to do a run in the UK in 2016.

Stuck up a thread previously about the most exposed run...on the basis that as I'm travelling from Ireland, it should be one to remember. A few suggested the Glen Coe Skyline, and one said the Peris Horseshoe is airy, so thinking about that. Also thinking of the Welsh 1000 metres.

As a matter of interest, what's considered the highlight of the UK running calendar, the sort of off road equivalent of the Great North Run or London Marathon, the one with the most cache? The ones that we seem to hear about here most often, the ones that I know Irish runners travel over for more than most, are Snowdon, Ben Nevis and the Three Peaks. For some reason..maybe cos I think it's referred to in Feet in the Clouds and it's got a memorable name...the Haworth Hobble sticks out for me. But what do you think is the one that comes to mind most easily?

I fully appreciate this is entirely subjective and will depend on an individuals preference for long trails, short sprints or getting in vertical metres etc.

Banned
    The Ben

There is something attractive about doing it. It's kinda...iconic. Have never even climbed it, but live in the shadow of Carrauntoohil, the highest summit on this island, so the thought of running the highest on both islands appeals. Prefer the multi summit ones over the straight up and downs and for travel purposes it's probably less accessible than challenges in Wales..but certainly that's high up the list of possibilities.

Master
    Wasdale.

Hi Conor

Like you have pointed out it's all about personal choice regarding what races are a 'must do'.

You mention Snowdon and The Ben. Both great, but totally different experiences. Snowdon has a fantastic atmosphere with people lining the village streets etc, but the race is pretty much straight up and down a well defined tourist path.
    The Ben is far more difficult terrain wise.. descending over rocks, boulders and scree.
    Great atmosphere in Fort William on the night of the race...many worst for wear fellrunners dancing badly.

The Howarth Hobble is a very sociable race with fantastic food stations. The terrain isn't technical but it's certainly a tough day out...great event. It's also part of the LDWA events...Long distance walkers association. Many more similar races on their website.

Cwm Pennant horseshoe in Wales is a British Champs race in 2016. Well worth doing, not as difficult as Peris Horseshoe but still a proper challenging race over some beautiful fells.

Can't really go wrong with any of the Lakeland classics...Wasdale, Borrowdale, Ennerdale, Langdale and Three Shires.

Add to these Daz Holloway Buttermere Horseshoe, Teenager with Altitude, Great Lakes.

Come over with a mate and do Old County Tops...proper day out up the lakes... Wear your t-shirt with pride.

Loads to go at mate, private message me your number if you want more in depth advice.

Super Moderator
    Burnsall. The record is unfeasible for plodders like me
    Poacher turned game-keeper

If I had to choose a single race, for me it would be Borrowdale.
    imo it defines the term "fell race".
    Do what you like, like what you do

Banned
    After studying the thread my 4 would toughest IMO:

Short:- Consiston Gullies
    Medium:- Ben
    Long:- Wasdale
    Ultra:- Ramsey

Of the Lakes Classics and other Lakes Longs etc, Borrowdale just hit the spot for me. Great, proper fell race. Ben Nevis an obvious classic but can be tricky to get an entry, and clashes with Three Peaks. Jura is, I think, THE great Scottish race...though my experience racing up there is limited. Welsh 1000m or Vegan Welsh 3000's possiblt the Welsh greatest offering? Again limited Welsh racing experience...Peris and Cwn Pennant are definately on my list to do!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    Of the Lakes Classics and other Lakes Longs etc, Borrowdale just hit the spot for me. Great, proper fell race. Ben Nevis an obvious classic but can be tricky to get an entry, and clashes with Three Peaks. Jura is, I think, THE great Scottish race...though my experience racing up there is limited. Welsh 1000m or Vegan Welsh 3000's possiblt the Welsh greatest offering? Again limited Welsh racing experience...Peris and Cwn Pennant are definately on my list to do!
    Hang on .... Three Peaks is in April, Ben Nevis is September ..... hardly constitutes a clash.
    The Grisedale Horseshoe "clashes" with the Ben, but then it was intended to ..... back in the late 80's when the Ben had got to being twice the price of any other fell race .... notice that the distance and accumulated ascent are the same.

For me it would be the Bens of Jura, not just a tough race over some great terrain but a long weekend hill-runners' get together, with everyone camped on the front lawn of the hotel - just magic.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!