Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Most prestigious race?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Agreed

It was to ensure that Wasdale (and the also-vulnerable Ennerdale) remained viable that Brian Martin and I started the Lakeland Classics Trophy.

If you haven't finished Wasdale then, in my book, you aren't a serious fell runner.
    That's me stuffed then, Wasdale is one of my very few DNFs though it was just after my first BG attempt, got to Pillar and the batteries just died. Despite that, Wasdale is probably the most prestigious of the longer events.

For me the Three Peaks race is like one of those isolated pubs that everyone goes on about but when you actually visit is a disappointment.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    For me the Three Peaks race is like one of those isolated pubs that everyone goes on about but when you actually visit is a disappointment.
    Really, each to there own, I suppose its a good job we all don't like drinking in the same pub lol.

Ive got unfinished business at Wasdale this year, although I got round it took me over 6hrs and really finished me off, hoping to have another bash at it this year and give it a better go. Don't think I'll knock too much time off but just hoping to prepare better and generally have a more enjoyable experience, and if that involved maybe doing it a bit quicker even better. But I know things can go tits-up big style so I'd probably be happy with just another finish under my belt, preferably without getting injured or getting lost.

Super Moderator
    When do entries open? Wasdale, not the Peaks, obviously
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    When do entries open? Wasdale, not the Peaks, obviously
    Not sure, but keep an eye on Cumberland Fell Runners website, all the info is on there.

http://www.cfra.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post

Well I have finished it 10 times and I was on the PPP Committee for a while: but I do rather like that description!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    When is you booking coming out Graham? Is it on a par with Mr Chilton's oeuvre?
    On a par!!!!!

You're very naughty Andrew, but I like you.

Agreed

It was to ensure that Wasdale (and the also-vulnerable Ennerdale) remained viable that Brian Martin and I started the Lakeland Classics Trophy.

If you haven't finished Wasdale then, in my book, you aren't a serious fell runner.
    What is this modern obsession with the ultra longs? You wouldn't get someone telling Seb Coe that he wasn't a serious runner until he'd done a few marathons.

I have a lot of respect for people who focus on the longer races and do well in them. But I have equal respect for the athletes who excel at the shorter end of the race spectrum. Their achievement is no less impressive.

BTW, I'm not sure I want to be considered "serious". It sounds a bit too serious to me. I think I aspire to "keen".

PS. It's great that the classics trophy was started. Although they're not for me at the moment, it would have been a great loss to the sport if these races weren't still around.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    What is this modern obsession with the ultra longs? You wouldn't get someone telling Seb Coe that he wasn't a serious runner until he'd done a few marathons.

I have a lot of respect for people who focus on the longer races and do well in them. But I have equal respect for the athletes who excel at the shorter end of the race spectrum. Their achievement is no less impressive.

BTW, I'm not sure I want to be considered "serious". It sounds a bit too serious to me. I think I aspire to "keen".

PS. It's great that the classics trophy was started. Although they're not for me at the moment, it would have been a great loss to the sport if these races weren't still around.
    Well said!!, surely the ultimate win for a fellrunner would be Grasmere Guides

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post

Noel

If you look at the first FRA Calendar (1970) of just 40-ish races you will find, inter alia, Ennerdale, Three Peaks, Ben Nevis, The Mountain Trial,...if you look in 1972 you will see Wasdale. These are the serious, or better great, challenges that were the inspiration of the sport and to my mind remain the pinnacle of endurance and achievement in fell running. The FRA wasn't set up because people went jogging over Penistone Hill.

Almost anyone can win a short fell race, there are hundreds to choose from, but only great, or serious, fell runners win the long classics.

(But I've done your race and it's a very nice one).

Graham

Banned

Almost anyone can win a short fell race, there are hundreds to choose from, but only great, or serious, fell runners win the long classics.

Graham
    In the same vein Graham anyone could win a long. But the truth of the matter is there are loads more shorts than longs. In a race you need to beat the rest.
    I bet the lakes classics when not champs races are won by lakes lads.
    Not taking anything away from that but LK plays a big part.