Thread: Ankle Equinus.

Ankle Equinus.

Apart from the odd run here and there I've been off the hills for over a year. I thought I was battling Plantar Fasciitis but the Podiatry clinic at Huddersfield Uni suggest that I have ankle equinus.

Briefly it's a lack of dorsiflexion and makes running up any steep incline very painful to the point that it feels like my achilles is about to rip away from the ankle! All of my running is on flat-ish terrain these days.

Anyone dealt with it before? I have a couple of stretches to do plus some Thera-band work to do. The podiatrist said I could carry on running because it not running isn't fixing it! If you have any tips then they'd be much appreciated because I'm missing the Peak District like crazy and bored rigid running just to maintain fitness.

Thank you.

I presume the thera-band work you have been given is to strenghen the anterior muscle group and the stretches will be for the Calves ... Get on with the strenghening exercises these will help the muscle imbalance and DO the stretches all this will take time ..be patient ..get on with it and stop worrying about it .
    No magic cures needed .

This is how I would approach it....
    The back of the leg is effectively 3 sections which are interconnected- if you have a tight hamstring you wont have the full extent of stretch in your gastrocnemus which in turn will limit extension of the foot (and make it feel like your achilles is going to rip away).
    It is a lot easier to lengthen muscle fibres than tendon fibres so it might be worth getting a sadistic sports massage therapist to free your legs up and get those muscles stretched out. Twice daily foam roller sessions on the backs of your legs will help condition those muscle fibres and soften up the scarring from micro tears. From the foot end of things, use one of those spiky balls on the sole of your foot and walk around barefoot (at least around the house) because this will strengthen your feet and lengthen your calf.
    Muscles are a lot more pliable if they are well hydrated and muscles that are being conditioned heal quicker if you flush them through with antioxidant clear fluids so consider drinking a reasonable amount of green tea (loose leaf- not that 'orrible sweepings-up teabag shoite) or ginger infusion.
    Oh,and do the rest of your exercises....it's worth it.

Hope some of that makes some sense and good luck.