Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Classics Trophy 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    The Longs are going to be "rotated" to keep the total races to 6, so Langdale will be back next year and one of the other Longs will be rested.

Borrowdale has never struggled for numbers so it need not be amongst the compulsory "two from Super Long" list.

Buttermere is a worthy addition to the Calendar: a "serious" race for "serious" fell runners and in the context of why the LCT was established it seems right to elevate it to LCT status (!) to broaden its appeal.

Bill and Ben are two of the nicest people in fell running and I applaud the changes they are making, which, although it was not necessary, they were kind and gracious to discuss with me before making the changes.
    Thanks for the explanation Mr B ~ I knew there'd be a sensible reason.
    I've never done a Super Long but have done Borrowdale, Langdale and 3 Shires a couple of dozen times each. Pity that doesn't count.............
    See the light in the night

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    Thanks for the explanation Mr B ~ I knew there'd be a sensible reason.
    I've never done a Super Long but have done Borrowdale, Langdale and 3 Shires a couple of dozen times each. Pity that doesn't count.............
    My pleasure. The 3 Shires was my favourite fell race.

The expression Super Long was conceived by my chum Brian Martin as a neat way of distinguishing between, say, 3 Shires with a record of 105 minutes (Gavin Bland); and Ennerdale (Kenny Stuart) and Wasdale (Billy Bland) with records of 200 and 205 minutes respectively, which incidentally have stood for 30+ years and probably with good reason.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    which incidentally have stood for 30+ years and probably with good reason.
    Ah but wasn't Simon Booth very close a while back (like within 30s), but he had to take a detour over the bridge at the end whilst Kenny could shortcut straight through the river?
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Ah but wasn't Simon Booth very close a while back (like within 30s), but he had to take a detour over the bridge at the end whilst Kenny could shortcut straight through the river?
    When all is said & done, one can only go with conditions on the day.

How many races have there been where someone was within seconds of the record and would have beaten the record if there had not been a head wind, or if conditions under foot had not been "heavy going"? Que sera sera!
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

True, but it was technically a different course

In 2000 Simon ran 3.21.24

The Fellrunner October 2000 Results page 17:

"The current race start is shorter than the route on which Kenny set his record so the record still stands"

But well remembered! It was a Champ counter so people were trying.

True, but it was technically a different course
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 30-12-2015 at 05:08 PM.

Well before I started running, just remember being told it in the pub a few years ago.
    Mark Roberts was telling RhysFR (the previous year's winner in 3:45ish) that he was 4th in 3:25ish in 2000. A discussion about runner quality vs. depth of competition to push towards these record times was in the offing, but everyone was too pissed so it stopped at 'you younguns are just slow'

Well before I started running, just remember being told it in the pub a few years ago.
    Mark Roberts was telling RhysFR (the previous year's winner in 3:45ish) that he was 4th in 3:25ish in 2000. A discussion about runner quality vs. depth of competition to push towards these record times was in the offing, but everyone was too pissed so it stopped at 'you younguns are just slow'
    Mark did 3.26.19 behind Gavin and Jonny Bland and ahead of Robb Jebb, Mark Rigby et al: so not too shabby.

Btw there were 223 runners in 2000 because it was a British Champs race but only 38 entries in 1999. F&M wrecked 2001 so Brian Martin and I started the LCT in 2002.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 30-12-2015 at 06:02 PM.

Simon was only seconds of the Borrowdale record about 10 years ago too.
    Last edited by mapper; 31-12-2015 at 10:45 AM.
    See the light in the night