Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: YHA King of the Castle

  1. #1
    Senior Member CalFerguson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Darwen, Lancs
    Posts
    422

    YHA King of the Castle

    Has anybody done this before?

    Up hill only, time trial...interesting prospect and I'm looking to have a go at it a week on Sunday

    1.6 miles with 656ft

    http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/races.php?id=4393
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

    Calvin Ferguson - Calder Valley FR

  2. #2
    Master Stagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Back in Stainland��
    Posts
    8,085
    Great low key event.
    We started in 30second intervals from the bar in the middle of the YH.
    There is about half a mile of flat running along a path at the side of a beck. (tree roots and sloppy)
    Then the hill with track, mud and scree to cover.
    A gentle jog back from the summit was followed by a cake fest back in the YH.
    It's one to enjoy.
    A quote,

    "The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall."

  3. #3
    Senior Member CalFerguson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Darwen, Lancs
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Great low key event.
    We started in 30second intervals from the bar in the middle of the YH.
    There is about half a mile of flat running along a path at the side of a beck. (tree roots and sloppy)
    Then the hill with track, mud and scree to cover.
    A gentle jog back from the summit was followed by a cake fest back in the YH.
    It's one to enjoy.
    Cheers Stagger - sounds great to me, a type of event I've heard of but never ran, up hill only seem to be more common abroad?
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

    Calvin Ferguson - Calder Valley FR

  4. #4
    Senior Member Old Whippet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tyneside
    Posts
    517
    Really enjoyed this race in 2014. With 2 1/2 hours driving for 15 mins running, it's certainly got the highest drive:run ratio in my calendar. Planning to be there again on Sunday.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    312
    Quote Originally Posted by Darwen Dashers Calvin View Post
    Cheers Stagger - sounds great to me, a type of event I've heard of but never ran, up hill only seem to be more common abroad?
    Did you do this one Calvin ? ��

  6. #6
    I'm the king of the castle and you're the dirty rascal.

    I'm fibbing of course....a commoner I'll remain, a nobody....a pleb.

    Todays King is Chris Arthur of Bowland Fell Runners. Arise King Arthur, and unlike your namesake you shouldn't be troubled with Saxon invaders.

    King of the castle fell race is a quirky event. It starts from the bar inside Borrowdale youth hostel from which runners set off in roughly 10 second intervals. The race is uphill only with the finish being the war memorial at the summit of Castle crag.

    Once you leave the hostel the current time is registered against your race number. The track from the hostel is narrow and gnarly in parts with tree roots and rocks littering the ground...hence the interval starts to try and prevent 'bottlenecks'.

    When Castle crag comes into view the uphill begins. I'm surprised by how much the gnarly path has taken out of my legs, the uphill is only short but lactic build up in tired muscles soon reduces me to a walk. After zig-zagging up through the slate it's a relief to touch the war memorial and have the current time once again registered against your number.

    It's been awhile since I was last up Castle crag and I'd almost forgotten about the amazing views on offer. This lowest Wainwright is a great fell to explore. Along with the memorial at the summit, the man made slate structures scattered about the quarry are also worthy of a visit.

    After a nice gentle jog back to the hostel it's cakes galore washed down with a lovely cup of tea as we wait in anticipation for the results to be worked out. Who will be crowned royalty?

    As previously mentioned well done Chris Arthur and not forgetting Queen Kirsty Hall on your royal appointments.

    I don't come from Greece or have a thirst for knowledge and I didn't study sculpture at Saint Martins college.....I just live like common people do.

    Many thanks to Catherine and all helpers for a unique race experience.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

  7. #7
    Master wheezing donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    A Bowland Bog
    Posts
    2,308
    Just been informed via the club grapevine that Chris held off Morgan and Rhys to break Ricky Lightfoot's course record.
    Not to mention that the previous day he had come 3rd in the Lancashire XC Championship!
    Well done Chris, you're on fire at the moment.



    Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    I'm the king of the castle and you're the dirty rascal.

    I'm fibbing of course....a commoner I'll remain, a nobody....a pleb.

    Todays King is Chris Arthur of Bowland Fell Runners. Arise King Arthur, and unlike your namesake you shouldn't be troubled with Saxon invaders.

    King of the castle fell race is a quirky event. It starts from the bar inside Borrowdale youth hostel from which runners set off in roughly 10 second intervals. The race is uphill only with the finish being the war memorial at the summit of Castle crag.

    Once you leave the hostel the current time is registered against your race number. The track from the hostel is narrow and gnarly in parts with tree roots and rocks littering the ground...hence the interval starts to try and prevent 'bottlenecks'.

    When Castle crag comes into view the uphill begins. I'm surprised by how much the gnarly path has taken out of my legs, the uphill is only short but lactic build up in tired muscles soon reduces me to a walk. After zig-zagging up through the slate it's a relief to touch the war memorial and have the current time once again registered against your number.

    It's been awhile since I was last up Castle crag and I'd almost forgotten about the amazing views on offer. This lowest Wainwright is a great fell to explore. Along with the memorial at the summit, the man made slate structures scattered about the quarry are also worthy of a visit.

    After a nice gentle jog back to the hostel it's cakes galore washed down with a lovely cup of tea as we wait in anticipation for the results to be worked out. Who will be crowned royalty?

    As previously mentioned well done Chris Arthur and not forgetting Queen Kirsty Hall on your royal appointments.

    I don't come from Greece or have a thirst for knowledge and I didn't study sculpture at Saint Martins college.....I just live like common people do.

    Many thanks to Catherine and all helpers for a unique race experience.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

  8. #8
    Master wharfeego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    on th'edge o' Yorkshire Dales
    Posts
    2,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    ...I don't come from Greece or have a thirst for knowledge and I didn't study sculpture at Saint Martins college.....I just live like common people do...
    What a load o'pulp

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •