Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Utmb 2016

I doing the CCC and going to Chamonix for the first time, Quick question re the Obligatory Equipment they state Water reservoir 1 litre minimum, does this mean you have to carry at least 1 litre of water round the whole course or just need something that can hold at least 1 litre?

Quote Originally Posted by mollie View Post
    I doing the CCC and going to Chamonix for the first time, Quick question re the Obligatory Equipment they state Water reservoir 1 litre minimum, does this mean you have to carry at least 1 litre of water round the whole course or just need something that can hold at least 1 litre?
    You need to be able to carry 1 litre. If it's a hot year you'll definitely need it, unless you're confident with getting enough from streams. Parts of the UTMB course can be pretty dry.

So how did everyone get on? It was bloody hot, I know that.

TDS was scorching, that climb up from Bourg St Maurice nearly did for me. People were dropping like flies. Mrs P had a good race, 6th V1F and 1st British lady ... think she was 3rd Brit overall. I came in several hours afterwards, but hey, at least I came in!!

Great performances in the CCC by Jo Meek and Robbie Britton.

Some outstanding performances in the UTMB given the conditions. Jasmin's stands out of course, but several others deserve stand-up applause, Pup Harris for one - a brilliant sub-30 hours.

I think that will be my last visit to the UTMB though, that's three on the bounce and although I've loved it, my next visit to the Alps will be under less testing circumstances. And no, I'm not going for the PTL or OCC to make up the full set!!
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

First time for me (and my wife supporting) and we both really enjoyed the whole experience, from lots of different angles. Got round the UTMB in just over 37 hours so was quite happy with that, as you say Martyn it was red hot; however the first night was a perfect temperature and the second night seemed to be going the same until the thunder and lightning struck. It was a tad scary going up Bovine at that stage. Having said that it was all worthwhile to gain that amazing gilet......

Will certainly be back again in the future
    Al McKeown

Arrived in time to see the mid pack finish the UTMB and most of the PTL guys as well.
    Its an awesome atmosphere out there but I am not sure I can stomach the crowded trails and feeding into the politics behind the UTMB. I have the points for next year though so will have to make a decision soon I guess.

As said above the alps have been steaming hot recently
    If looking for something a little gnarlier and a damn site smaller but with an awesome buzz of its own its worth checking out UTMR (Ultra Tour Monta Rosa) run by Lizzie Hawker and chums a week later.

Didn't get in is year altho had loads of points, disappointed at first and then turned it to a positive- try a new race of that length and climb each summer.
    So now have done UTMB, GRP and UT4M
    Not sure re next year. I guess I have a double chance in their draw but am not sure I want to go back to the crowds having found nicer and tougher races. Keen to try UTMR, T de Geants, Echappe Belle and would like a crack at the PTL if anyone would have me in a team

Quote Originally Posted by karen nash View Post
    Didn't get in is year altho had loads of points, disappointed at first and then turned it to a positive- try a new race of that length and climb each summer.
    So now have done UTMB, GRP and UT4M
    Not sure re next year. I guess I have a double chance in their draw but am not sure I want to go back to the crowds having found nicer and tougher races. Keen to try UTMR, T de Geants, Echappe Belle and would like a crack at the PTL if anyone would have me in a team
    Karen, try ronda del cims or mitic. Amazing setting and quiet.

There is no shortage of ultras to try, suspect I will run out of years instead.

I had set myself up to do UTMB. To a degree its why I started going for longer stuff, though not entirely. Since the faff over points I've pretty much given up on it. As Karen says 'plenty more stuff to do'. Trick for me is to decide/spot an opportunity to do an overseas race that fits with holiday periods etc. I don't get a massive amount of weekends free. I keep looking at Ultra Tour de Mont Rosa as an alternative?
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    I had set myself up to do UTMB. To a degree its why I started going for longer stuff, though not entirely. Since the faff over points I've pretty much given up on it. As Karen says 'plenty more stuff to do'. Trick for me is to decide/spot an opportunity to do an overseas race that fits with holiday periods etc. I don't get a massive amount of weekends free. I keep looking at Ultra Tour de Mont Rosa as an alternative?
    These two fall over the summer and look pretty full on

http://alpenx100.com/en/

http://ut4m.fr/en/