Thread: Super-elite ladies

Super-elite ladies

I'm just looking through the entry list for Pendle three peaks. For blokes, the top runners are much the same as they were 5 years ago (or 10 years ago in many cases). However, for the ladies, many of the top ladies from the last 5-10 years don't seem to figure now.

I see Vic Wilkinson on the entry list but not many others on my mental list of who's really excelled.

I realise there will be personal reasons why each one hasn't entered. And I'm not berating these or any other ladies for not doing one race. I also don't want this thread to turn into an analysis of specific runners and their individual reasons for not racing. But is this a general trend? Does life get in the way of elite running for ladies? I realise that having kids knocks you out of contention for a few years. Is it too hard to come back at a competitive level? Or do elite lasses have more imagination than blokes and therefore don't want to keep doing the same things?

Super Moderator
    Good idea for a thread noel. As a 51 year old back of the pack male I have nothing else to contribute
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Noel,

In a word "yes".

I think I have addressed this in past articles in The Fellrunner; but using (a few) more words.

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I'm just looking through the entry list for Pendle three peaks. For blokes, the top runners are much the same as they were 5 years ago (or 10 years ago in many cases). However, for the ladies, many of the top ladies from the last 5-10 years don't seem to figure now.

I see Vic Wilkinson on the entry list but not many others on my mental list of who's really excelled.

I realise there will be personal reasons why each one hasn't entered. And I'm not berating these or any other ladies for not doing one race. I also don't want this thread to turn into an analysis of specific runners and their individual reasons for not racing. But is this a general trend? Does life get in the way of elite running for ladies? I realise that having kids knocks you out of contention for a few years. Is it too hard to come back at a competitive level? Or do elite lasses have more imagination than blokes and therefore don't want to keep doing the same things?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Noel,

In a word "yes".

I think I have addressed this in past articles in The Fellrunner; but using (a few) more words.

Graham
    I guess it highlights the staying power and dedication of those who continue to excel in their age categories.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post

I think this helpful public information broadcast has the answer...

It's a bit old, but the data looks solid.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent