Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Malvern Hills

Malvern Hills

I'm driving to Bristol and back next week from NWEst and reckon I can free up 1-2 hours to have a run around the Malverns. I've never been on that range, looking at the map the hills in the north look the biggest and perhaps there's a run from parking in Great Malvern?
    Is anyone familiar and can recommend a 90-120 min run with some climbing? Many thanks

Hello Richard... There are at least a couple of people on here who live at the Malverns and better qualified to comment than me. However you can certainly park up in Malvern, head up onto the ridge and just head south, turning round when appropriate. You can park in the centre of Malvern and head up via the signs to St Anne's Well, or I prefer to park right at the north end of the ridge (only half a mile from Malvern centre) and make my way up from there.

I would just say that although the altitude is modest, it is surprisingly exposed to the elements. There is also a decent amount of climb if you follow all them undulations. Within an hour or two you cant rslly get far enough to encounter any route difficulties, which are a little more apparent towards the south end if unfamiliar with the ridge.

a nice run is from the British Camp car park on the A449 between Malvern and Ledbury. Park in the big car park (£3) and head north, behind the hotel, and just follow the ridge as far as you like. You should be able to get at least as far as Worcestershire Beacon (425m and the highest point in Worcestershire!) and back in an hour or so, go up as far as North Hill if you can.

Route finding is easy: mainly clear and obvious paths following the obvious ridge. Fairly modest climbs but they do add up!
    The car park at British Camp is next to a pub/hotel and public loos but also a little tea shack which sells cake/sandwiches etc too. The £3 parking fee goes to the conservation of the hills.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

My thoughts exactly Dave!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

of course, the more exciting hills (including the only one I have to walk up) are to the south....but we keep them secret
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    of course, the more exciting hills (including the only one I have to walk up) are to the south....but we keep them secret
    shh... don't tell everyone!
    Last edited by PeteS; 13-01-2016 at 02:12 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Not much to add to what Dave and Trav's have said really.
    There are various places to park from North Malvern and along the road that runs along the base of the west side of the ridge and down as far as the British Camp.
    Sticking to the ridge, it's almost impossible to get lost and you can do an out and back route from pretty much anywhere. There are a few paths lower down that skirt the base of the ridge which can make it a bit more interesting. British camp south to Holly bush and back is lovely with plenty of variation but less well trodden and so probably best avoided if you are unfamiliar with the terrain.
    As Trav said, it is very exposed especially at this time of year so don't forget your thermals!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Many thanks all - really appreciate it and looking forward to it. May just shelve the business meeting in Bristol and spend all day up there :-)

Well if thats your plan, why not drive 45 minutes west and try some real hills?? The Blorenge awaits you!!!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Well if thats your plan, why not drive 45 minutes west and try some real hills?? The Blorenge awaits you!!!!
    The Blorenge is best tackled after an 11-mile warm-up run, starting in Llanbedr and going over Crug Mawr and Sugar Loaf.