Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Malvern Hills

good race, but not very fell: mainly well made paths and tracks.
    Have done it the last few years but will be in Langdale this year.....
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Worcestershire Beacon Race done!
    Most enjoyable trot out yesterday afternoon. No it's not a fell race but it certainly suits a fell runner. 10k and 550m ascent - nowhere particularly flat with some technical descents. Great organisation and fantastic support out on the course. Combine that with the stunning scenery and perfect weather today and you have a great race.
    Recommended!
    Last edited by PeteS; 09-10-2016 at 09:25 AM.

This year's Worcestershire Beacon race is on Saturday 14th October @ 3:00PM.
    Last edited by PeteS; 27-09-2018 at 01:12 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

This year's Worcestershire Beacon race is on Saturday 13th October @ 3:00PM.
    Entry on the day or do the RO a favour and pre-enter here https://www.runbritain.com/RaceDetai...ponseType=html
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Hi Pete

Recommendations on this race... Worth the journey over from Cov? In particular teaming up with Breidden Hills the next day?

I really want a big performance at Breidden, so i know the sensible answer, stay fresh and rested on the Saturday.... but i wouldn't be doing fell races if i wasn't a little bit gung-ho in my approach to cramming races in...

Ashamed to say, I only discovered this race a couple of years ago but have really enjoyed the 2 times I've done it. About 7 miles and 1800ft with most of the climb in the first half of the race and it gets a good turn out form all the local clubs. Its not a fell race by any stretch of the imagination but with your current form, I can see you doing really well. All the climbs are easily runnable (even for myself at the moment!) It starts in the rose gardens just above Great Malvern and then winds back and forth through the woods until you appear on the main ridge around Summer Hill. Then its up the main path to the Beacon, down the far side and then a circuit of North Hill before descending back through the woods to the town. Of course if you want to stay fresh for a good placing at Breidden, then sensibly you should give it a miss.
    Sensible and fell running rarely go hand in hand though.....
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Thank you Pete for the info. I guess i will make a decision on the morning as to whether i'm feeling sensible or reckless...

agree with Pete: have run it a few times and it feels like a very hilly road race....it's all pretty much on hard tracks and is all very runnable. It's nice enough, but I wouldn't make a special trip, especially if you want to do well at the Breiddins. Hopefully see you at the latter as I'll be marshalling somewhere! PS: of you fancied a proper tun out on the Malverns at some point just give me a shout: lived there for 15 years!
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Thank you Dave for the offer. I'm currently innundated with offers for running in the Malverns, as another (occasional) forumite, Fell Running friend and ex-clubmate is also a Malvern native!

I've also got to find somewhere local to take my fledgling Cov Godiva Fell team out for some hill work, prior to our assault on the Lee Mill Relays. Possibly Malverns or the Mynd.

Another Worcestershire Beacon race done. Weather thankfully not as bad as forecast but very windy and lots of leaves and storm debris in woods making conditions underfoot far from perfect. There was a very strong southerly wind on the tops. A nice tailwind on the way up the beacon which unfortunately then meant a massive headwind for half of North Hill. My slowest time yet but it was not a day for quick times.