Thread: Burnsall area

Burnsall area

This is probably the best place for it so here goes....

Next weekend I shall be at the Burnsall gala and, naturally, taking part in the race. Since I'll be staying on for a few days, can anyone suggest a good route on the hills round there? Ideally something that'll take about 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

Ta v. much.

Super Moderator

Re: Burnsall area

from Bolton Abbey up to Simon's Seat and back along Dales Way thro Strid Woods. Further up dale could do Starbottom-Yockenthwaite-Cray-Buckden Pike and back down to start

Thanks for that, I'll take a look at the OS map. Looking forward to it as it will be my first time in that area.

From Burnsall along river to Howgill, up onto Simon's Seat, across to High Skyreholme, up Trollers Gill, down Appletreewick pasture past Kail Hill, cross road to Woodhouse Farm and back along river into Burnsall. Just short of ten miles with around 2,000ft of ascent.
    From Grassington (Chapel Lane) take path N. to Bare House, on through Kelber, Bycliffe, then turn W. at Mossdale across Conistone Moor, cross over stile by Trig point at Capplestone Gate and run down to pick up Dales Way at GR 992 682. Follow Dales Way back to Grassington. Just over ten miles with 1,355 ft ascent.
    Both are wonderful routes I've run fairly regularly, so know them well. Hope the weather is good for you. I'll be running the Burnsall '10' in a Longwood vest.
    Last edited by Runningfox; 21-08-2007 at 01:26 PM.

Hiya Runningfox,

No "10" for me but I will be taking part in the fell race at 5pm (and wearing a 'Holmfirth Harriers' vest).

Thanks for the route suggestion - planning to get out with my friend for a long 'un on Sunday early. Maybe see you Saturday!

Super Moderator

ran from Barden Bridge up to Burnsall and back this evening. Absolutely beautiful in the dale and the heather on the hill-side under Simon's Seat looked stunning in the setting sun