Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoes and pack questions.

Shoes and pack questions.

I'm an almost complete novice at fell running (though I'm used to southern trails) and was hoping to pick the collective FRA forum brains over a couple of bits of kit.

Firstly, pack. I'm looking at doing the Kinder Downfall in April and need something that'll hold the minimum kit list. Will I get away with a 3 litre waist pack or do I need to look at 6, and if so should I consider a vest? I'd rather not break the bank and I do have an OMM Ultra 12 for winter events so a waist pack would suit as it'll get used at home on longer runs but I just don't know how much capacity I need. And any specific recommendations?

On the shoes front, I've put a few hundred km on my Speedcross 3's and for a day to day trail shoe I love the support and cushioning (which I need) and find the grip reasonable. But I'm looking for something better suited to fell runs in the Lake District and Wales, and preferably a bit lighter. They'll be kept largely for fell running/races so I can live with something a bit more minimalist (within reason.) My eye has turned to the Inov8 range; is there a shortlist of 'go-to' shoes for such terrain?

Pack: depends how bulky your waterproofs are. I use an OMM waist pouch which is plenty big enough.

Shoes: have you tried a Walsh PB (Elite trainer, etc. see http://www.normanwalshuk.com/page/th...rmance-range/) ? They are fairly minimalist, mind you the studs won't last on the road section at the end of the Kinder Downfall (terrific race by the way). Salomon Fellraiser another possibility.

Tim
    Last edited by wolley tha; 21-01-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Nowhere near me that stocks Walsh and I'd rather try on.

Waterproofs wise I've got a Montane Minimus jacket and will shortly be buying matching overtrousers, so not too bulky.

Super Moderator
    Mudclaws. Welcome to the forum
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Hi tenohive! I have a OMM 3 litre waistpouch and this quite happily takes my minimus jacket, trousers, hat, gloves, compass, whistle (minimum requirements)and can still stuff in a full OS map, water and snappin / gels etc. If I was doing Kinder (which I can't as I'll be away this year unfortunately) I'd be using this pack, so you should be fine.

I'm not sure what a waistpouch is: try a bum bag instead.

I also don't do smileys but, for the avoidance of doubt, this was intended as a humorous post.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bloke View Post
    I'm not sure what a waistpouch is: try a bum bag instead.

I also don't do smileys but, for the avoidance of doubt, this was intended as a humorous post.
    Made me smile. I didn't know OMM called it a waist pouch until I went on their website to see what mine was called.

Nowhere near me that stocks Walsh and I'd rather try on.
    Pete Bland https://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/ will probably be at Kinder Downfall with a wide selection of gear, including footwear. Although I realise that you are looking for shoes for that race.
    Last edited by wolley tha; 22-01-2016 at 09:14 AM.

From the Inov8 range then Mudclaw or X-Talon are the 2 to look at, both are available in a 3mm or 6mm drop version.

The X-Talon is a lighter weight shoe, coming in 190, 200 or 212g weight options, whereas the Mudclaw is 265 or 300

The Mudclaw has the more aggressive tread pattern which is better for really muddy conditions.

Ideally you have a pair of each ;-)

If it's dry you'll get away with trail shoes on the Downfall - even if wet it's a very pathy race with a hard under-foot road stretch at the end. I'll be wearing part-worn Xtalon 212s, not the 'A' pair I save for championship races.
    Treat yourself to a good peruse of Pete Bland's after, they'll have most of the best options with them. See you there!
    Last edited by ba-ba; 22-01-2016 at 11:33 AM.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Another vote for mudclaw 300s - If I had to only have one shoe for Lakes/Wales that would be it. Second would be x-talon but don't find it has enough grip on occasion.
    For bumbags - I use the OMM 3.5 litre waist pouch which holds all the mandatory kit, a 250ml water bottle and some food quite comfortably. Has compression elastic to keep it all nice and compact and stop it bouncing around. Also recommend the Pete Bland own brand.

Oh and welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by PeteS; 22-01-2016 at 02:31 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast