Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vitamin D3

I take a 12.5 tablet daily. I recall them being £2.99 for 105 tablets from Aldi

I've no idea what that back to front y followed by a g dosage means.

I also take a 410mg Cod Liver Oil softgel capsule. Just noticed that it also contains 3.37 yg of Vit D
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I take a 12.5 tablet daily. I recall them being £2.99 for 105 tablets from Aldi

I've no idea what that back to front y followed by a g dosage means.

I also take a 410mg Cod Liver Oil softgel capsule. Just noticed that it also contains 3.37 yg of Vit D
    Your backwards y (μ) is a microgram i.e. μg.

I take a 1000mg omega 3 fish oil capsule daily primarily for EPA & DHA but this also has approximately 10μg vitamin D.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Anyone taking/still taking Vit D3 supplements? If so, what daily dosages do you take (ug)?

Holland and Barrett's have a deal for 100 ug tabs
    Yes, I take 400iu (10μg), which is 200 percent of the NRV (recommended amount), from the start of October until however long 180 tablets last. The rest of the year I spend as much time as possible outside with bare arms, bare legs, balding head etc, in the middle of the day.

It's been life-changing for me. Previously I put on over 10 percent of my body weight during the winter, and felt uninterested in anything and just wanted to hibernate until the spring. I must have been somewhere on the SAD spectrum, but without proper blood monitoring I've no idea where.

Although Vit D is fat soluble, and can be stored in the body, it has a short half-life (which varies from person to person) so a lot of exposure to the sun in September won't last the winter.

I would say that if you feel disinterested/depressed at this time of the year then it's worth giving it a go.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I am intrigued to hear that so many of you seem to be taking these supplements; have you all had advice from medical professionals that you should be taking them? While I do certainly notice some change in my mood, and a decrease in fitness, at this time of year, it is not severe enough to be diagnosed as SAD; and I just consider it to be a natural cycle, and something that I shouldn't artificially interfere with.

As for fish oil, I eat mackerel, herrings and fresh sardines when I can get them from our fishmonger. I have been known to scrape and eat the oil from the bottom of the grill pan after a meal of herrings.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I am intrigued to hear that so many of you seem to be taking these supplements; have you all had advice from medical professionals that you should be taking them? While I do certainly notice some change in my mood, and a decrease in fitness, at this time of year, it is not severe enough to be diagnosed as SAD; and I just consider it to be a natural cycle, and something that I shouldn't artificially interfere with.

As for fish oil, I eat mackerel, herrings and fresh sardines when I can get them from our fishmonger. I have been known to scrape and eat the oil from the bottom of the grill pan after a meal of herrings.
    I was once being treated by an oncologist.

He asked if I took any general vitamin supplements and said that he did. I expressed surprise and he replied that his diet was probably sound but one never knew if there might be a deficiency so if you could afford it why would you not take a general vitamin supplement to be sure?

Presumably that counts as advice from a medical professional.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Indeed, I used to take glucosamine but my orthopaedic consultant told me that was a complete waste of money as there was very little in the way of clinical evidence for it having any affect on arthritis etc. He did say to carry on with omega 3 fish oil but 1000mg minimum a day for it to be beneficial in joint mobility.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    The NHS recommends the taking of Vitamin D during the autumn and winter, and suggests that those with dark skin, living in care homes, or who wear clothes that cover the majority of their skin when outside, should consider taking it all the year.

Until the NHS recommended it I wasn't taking it, but when I did I wished I'd done it years ago.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Indeed, I used to take glucosamine but my orthopaedic consultant told me that was a complete waste of money as there was very little in the way of clinical evidence for it having any affect on arthritis etc. He did say to carry on with omega 3 fish oil but 1000mg minimum a day for it to be beneficial in joint mobility.
    Fish oil supplements - 1,000 mg a day or more - may increase the risk of AF - atrial fibrillation - something that endurance runners are at increased risk of in the first place. Eating oily fish is not thought to have this effect.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    My physio swore by the befits of glucosamine and much else.

My knee surgeon laughed and said I should save the money and spend it on a holiday!

So I dumped the glucosamine but take omega 3 on the basis that I have never heard a fish complain about knee problems.

And in gratitude I eat fish every day (hardly ever meat and nothing with wings) but since the fish are dead they tend not to hand out medical advice.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 17-11-2023 at 07:15 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    My physio swore by the befits of glucosamine and much else.

My knee surgeon laughed and said I should save the money and spend it on a holiday!

So I dumped the glucosamine but take omega 3 on the basis that I have never heard a fish complain about knee problems.

And in gratitude I eat fish every day (hardly ever meat and nothing with wings) but since the fish are dead they tend not to hand out medical advice.
    I am sure I have mentioned this before but some years ago at a medical meeting a Professor of Pharmacology - er - professed that the only studies that showed any benefit with glucosamine were those that had been funded by the manufacturers of the drug - all the other studies found no benefit.