Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D3

Master
    Be aware:
    "The Vitamin D Council receives grants from vitamin D manufacturer Biotech Pharmacal. (http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/sponsors.shtml; accessed 8/26/08)"
    Sorry - link does not open.
    Last edited by Mike T; 26-02-2016 at 09:25 AM.

Banned
    I'm familiar with Vitamin D for energy but I have not tried Vitamin D3. I researched about the latter's benefits and If I'm correct, It is for bone's health and immune function. This could really sounds great for the body and a good supplement.

I have been researching vit D for years. I generally get mine by taking 1000mg of Codliver Oil daily.... as the oil also confers other benefits.
    The main (VitD) benefit seems to be (and this is just my experience...shared by others) that my immune system is good. I can share a bed with a snotty, sweaty, sneezing, coughing and otherwise lurgy ridden MrsMoors without suffering much more than a sniffle the following week.
    There are cardio-vascular benefits, which are of interest to runners... chief among which is improved elasticity of blood vessels.

The other thing is that I make sure that if the sun is out...even in Feb, I will run with plenty of skin exposed.

If you are taking Vit D then you should ensure you get K2 as well - they work synergystically and without K2 the vitD may not be effect. it's all to do with how the calcium is shuttled around the body and how its kept in the cells so it can work where needed

Banned
    Back on it for this winter.
    Roll on 21 Dec and the start of lighter nights.

Quote Originally Posted by manothemoors View Post
    I can share a bed with a snotty, sweaty, sneezing, coughing and otherwise lurgy ridden MrsMoors without suffering much more than a sniffle the following week.
    have you tried sharing your vit D supplements with MrsMoors too?

My wife takes it as part of her MS treatment and it seems to help her, so I take a bit when I'm feeling a bit low from winter blues.

Quote Originally Posted by LincsFellRunner View Post
    My wife takes it as part of her MS treatment and it seems to help her, so I take a bit when I'm feeling a bit low from winter blues.

Anyone taking/still taking Vit D3 supplements? If so, what daily dosages do you take (ug)?

Holland and Barrett's have a deal for 100 ug tabs
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Anyone taking/still taking Vit D3 supplements? If so, what daily dosages do you take (ug)?

Holland and Barrett's have a deal for 100 ug tabs
    I take 10 micrograms daily throughout the year - my only medication - 100 micrograms is a big dose unless you are deficient. I had a blood test not that long ago and the level was just right - I clearly do not need to take a bigger dose. Being outside every day people might think I should get enough Vit D naturally, but I wear long sleeves year round to keep the ticks off, and in summer if/when I pull the sleeves up I have sunscreen on.