Thread: Dogs and the LDMT

Dogs and the LDMT

Hi,

I'm doing the Lakes Mountain Trial next month and so is the wife, if the weathers warm we can't leave the dogs in the car so was going to run with the dogs, as it's a staggered event they won't be in the way as much normal, do any others take their dogs, or is the even specifically no dogs. No mention of it on the web site as far as I can see.

They are 2 collie-ish dogs so distance is no problem for them.

Ideally we'd like to make a weekend of it sowould like to have the dogs away with us.

Re: Dogs and the LDMT

Iain,

I've taken Dave on a couple of races now he did the Wharfedale mara in the searing heat without a problem! - again wasn't sure if he was allowed but as it didn't state anywhere No dogs we went hoping for the best and have so far been ok.

Is there a race organiser you can contact and ask??

I've seen quite a few dogs on races now - yes some people tut but on the whole the field opens up quiet quickly and I've never seen a problem.

Cheers, I'm doing it more of a nav test and getting to know the lakes than a race, so happy to keep out of peoples way, so I reckon I'll be OK. We may take one dog each, but they won't being seperated.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Cheers, I'm doing it more of a nav test and getting to know the lakes than a race, so happy to keep out of peoples way, so I reckon I'll be OK. We may take one dog each, but they won't being seperated.
    I'm taking Shirley for her first fell jog tonight!!

Hope to take her on a few races next year - think it's a matter of choosing the right ones and as you say if your not in peoples way and holding people up ie stiles gates etc etc people have been really friendly when I've had Dave and gone out of thier way to come and chat!

Ahh, how old is she now, 4 months? I think Bella did her first run about that age too, some told us to wait until she was 1, but they run as much as if you walk them anyway. We just didn't let he jump styles at first and watched out for too many rocky descents. She once got a knee strain, but the vet reckoned that was down to running up and down the stairs rather than the fell running.

If Shirley is anything like Fly she'll run all day. Fly has endless stamina, finally got some weight on her now and her fur has thickened out, so she looks less pikey dog now.

I wouldn't have thought other runners would have a problem with you taking the dogs. I've always assumed organisers don't want dogs in a race where a lot of farmland is involved; but seeing as the LDMT is mostly over open fell I can't see it being a problem. Having said that, it's probably best to check with the orgainsers first.

Should be a great day, anyway - see you there.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Hi,

I'm doing the Lakes Mountain Trial next month and so is the wife, if the weathers warm we can't leave the dogs in the car so was going to run with the dogs, as it's a staggered event they won't be in the way as much normal, do any others take their dogs, or is the even specifically no dogs. No mention of it on the web site as far as I can see.
    Could your dogs follow the scent of the person who had set out the controls? That would be useful!

In the Calendar Access and Environmental Guidelines, Chris Knox states that “Dogs should not be permitted in a race, they pose a threat to wildlife, livestock and fellow competitors, the CroW Act does not permit dogs in the new access areas except on a lead on an existing right of way.”

But I know Wendy used to take Skye on loads of races and she’s on the LDMT quango so she may be sympathetic.

Mind you, since Skye can no longer pull her along (or navigate for her!) she may have changed her ideas!!

Don't get me started on the CroW act and dogs. A dog does not HAVE to be on the lead on an existing RoW, unless stipulated at certain times of the year, which is silly anyway. Our dogs have and will run off the lead all year round in Snowdonia when on the high tops.

We've opted for a dog each. I'll take the thick one who will run all day and the wife the clever one with less stamina.

If we aren't allowed on race day then we'll just go for a long run instead.