Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asthma

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    It is possible to overdose with a salbutamol - blue - inhaler, but it would take many many inhalations. Eventually you would get the shakes, a racing heart, and even a change in heart rhythm. But if you find you are taking multiple inhalations then you almost certainly need different treatment, not simply more of the same - you probably need a higher dose of the steroid inhaler.
    Very true, I've been told a maximum of 10 blasts in an emergency, probably best to see someone if you need that many puffs. Talking to a lot of people and most hardly use their blue one. I've just been given a spacer for the preventer, it gets the drugs more effectively into the lungs.

Not wanting to be argumentative; but to clarify. In my earlier post I did not use the term "over dosing". The two terms that I did use were, "over use" and "over indulging"..... as observed by a medical professional. Maybe splitting hairs but certainly a different meaning to "over dosing"
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 11-03-2016 at 04:45 PM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Not wanting to be argumentative; but to clarify. In my earlier post I did not use the term "over dosing". The two terms that I did use were, "over use" and "over indulging"..... as observed by a medical professional. Maybe splitting hairs but certainly a different meaning to "over dosing"
    It's OK Wheezing Donkey I understand what you mean. From talking to sufferers and this forum, apart from an emergency, there is no need to be regularly blasting away with the Ventolin (blue). It should be controllable with the preventer. 2 years ago before being diagnosed I had to have a nebuliser. I was shaking like a leaf afterwards and my heart was racing but it didn't half open up my airways.

I had a really interesting chat with some club mates after training last night regarding asthma. Both of them swear that breathing correctly can help relieve the condition and improve performance. The trick is to breathe using the diaphragm properly. Apparently there is a yoga technique which involves breathing in, holdings, exhaling and resting for 4 seconds each time, ie 4 breaths per minute. As one of my club mates has been a particularly good M50 M55 M60 runner who has been a chronic asthmatic from childhood I am going to look into this system.