Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muncaster Luck

Muncaster Luck

It's that long since this race was run that it doesn't even have its own thread.
    Hope it gets support, long way round from any direction, and a lot of competition this weekend.
    Will be nice to run on hills rarely used, how many on here have passed by Devoke water recently?

I ran from Devoke Water across to Harter Fell and down to Eskdale a few months ago. Not sure where this race goes, but I found that despite appearances, the going in that area is surprisingly tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennings View Post
    Will be nice to run on hills rarely used, how many on here have passed by Devoke water recently?
    I last ran it in the 90's Jennings, it was in June, dry and red hot. I did a recce in Jan this year to reaquaint myself, it was wet and cold. It is actually a tough race over unfamiliar ground. 9.5 miles and 2100ft doesn't seem much but the terrain is quite challenging in places.

Briefly for anyone contemplating doing it:
    Fast undulating grassy path run from start over Hooker crag and Silver Knott down to Muncaster Head and river Esk crossing.
    Wade the river, climb to Water crag.
    Open fell to Raven crag.
    Path of sorts, swampy tussocky grass, walls and fields to Pepper Pot.
    Descend from Pepper Pot to run over salt marsh and cross the river again and save a bit to run up the canon bank at the castle.
    It is much drier now and Sunday forecast decent - see you all there...

Thanks to John and all of the many marshals. Good to see this resurrected, last run in 2000 apparently.

Very tough race, caught a few out, expecting a 9 miler over nice low ground.....nearly two hours later.......

Thanks to John & Lucinda for organising and booking the weather today!

I don't think I have ever run a race over ground like that as we were heading for the Pepper Pot....I was expecting tussocks but I think that what we had to run through need another name! Even Scoffer was cursing at them as he came flying past me.

Big thanks to the organisers for resurrecting this one - and what a race! Absolutely fantastic running from start to finish in glourious weather - what more could you want - well, erm apart from the tussocks from hell and that climb up to the castle to finish!

A must for the calendar each year I hope !

I've done a write up of the race with some photos of the route. Might be useful prep for future competitors!!!
    http://alanbill99.blogspot.co.uk/201...000ft.html?m=1

What a finish!

The final stiff climb up towards Muncaster castle with its imposing dual cannons is a vision that will remain forever memorable as a race finish. Add to this the extremely impressive gardens that adorn the castle grounds and tired legs are almost forgotten.

AC/DC classic 'For those about to rock' came to mind at the sight of the cannons, I'd have given everybody a rendition of "For those about to rock, fire, we salute you"....if I wasn't so knackered, luckily for them a grunt was the best I could muster.

I must confess though that today's race has left me puzzled, perplexed, baffled....call it what you like, I just don't get it.

I don't get how only 16 fellrunners turned up on what was an amazing day weather wise for this absolute belter of a fell race. I'll be the first to admit that I find the positives in every fell race as I appreciate the time and efforts that organisers and helpers give up. However some fell races feel that bit more 'felly' and pure to our sport and Muncaster Luck is certainly one of these.

Yeah, the terrain is tough in parts....some of the trussocks are on another level. I actually went waist deep on various occasions and running was impossible especially around the Pepper Pot.

But taking the rough with the smooth.....the running over Muncaster fell is fantastic undulating terrain over bogs, trods and some great spongy peat.
    It's after the crossing of the River Esk that the terrain gets trickier and good route choice can make massive gains.

After the slog up Water Crag, which is surprisingly pretty runnable as the gradient isn't to demanding, the next check point of Raven Crag is a journey into the unknown. Unless you're ticking off Birketts (all the Lakeland hills over 1000ft) you'd probably not have ventured over this area of Lakeland. It's hard running but it's rewarding, I found a few decent lines which I self praised myself for...well done Darren, jog on.

Race organiser John warned us pre-race that we'd all need to be back before 2pm to avoid crossing the flooded estuary at the foot of the castle grounds. It was only about 1ft deep when I crossed and what a challenge trying to get up the slippery mud bank on the other side.

In the castle grounds there's a tree with a plaque for Tom Fool. The story goes that in the sixteenth century Tom used to direct travellers towards the quicksand if they were rude.....tomfoolery to the extreme.

Many thanks to John and his helpers, one of whom was fellrunning stalwart Scoffer taking down the times....he knows a good race and there can't be many he's not done.

Chance your luck and do Muncaster Luck....you'll be alright Tom Fool is no longer giving directions across the estuary.
    Last edited by Tindersticks; 02-04-2017 at 10:12 PM.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

and a win for you Darren I understand - you're obviously too modest to mention...........

Thank you Judy....I knew there was something I'd forgotten to mention
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.