Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trotternish Ridge

Trotternish Ridge

Our local club, Skye and Lochalsh RC is planning to organize a race along the Trotternish ridge next year, probably May or June. Starting at Flodigarry and finishing at the Old Man of Storr car park, about 14 miles and 2000m.
    We are in the planning stage and looking at the details. I'm wondering whether there would be any turnout from 'down south'.
    On a good day this is a fantastic route, very runnable, fantastic views across some very remote country.
    I'm not sure of the dates of similar races in England but obviously we don't want to clash with Jura. Theres also Slioch, Loch Lochy Munros and Stuc a Chroine around that time.
    We are thiking of putting on buses to the start and from the finish as parking is very limited and it's 25 miles north of Portree so would like some idea of numbers.
    What do you think?
    Neil

Re: Trotternish Ridge New Race

That sounds brilliant, I'm definitley interested.
    Do what you like, like what you do

I'm on Skye next (English) Spring Bank Holiday week. If you want a few of the English to turn up, I'd suggest Sunday 26 May, as that way you may get some, like me, on Skye Saturday to Saturday with their families. I'd definitely be up for it, or anything else that week for that matter!
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

I'd be up for that. It's a great ridge to run along. Did a section of it a couple of years back, really enjoyed it, superb views over to the mainland.

Sounds like a great race in the making - I'd definitely be up for running but it will be difficult to find a slot that doesn't clash with other big races in May/June. (and May/June is also peak time for BGs etc)

Note: Spring Bank Holiday weekend is when lots of English runners travel up for Jura.
    Last edited by Batman; 19-10-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Note: Spring Bank Holiday weekend is when lots of English runners travel up for Jura.
    Jura fell race is Saturday 25 May, so it looks like my suggestion of the 26th isn't so good. Mind you, who's going to do both from south of the border anyway, unless they're close enough together to do in one trip? It's a long way to go twice in a short space of time. And Jura fills up quickly anyway doesn't it? From an English point of view, mid-week would be good, say Wed 30 May, but that's presumably no good for the Scots who'll be working that week.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Just been up to Skye, staying at Staffin Bay, went walking up on the Trotternish Ridge and would love an excuse to come and run it!

It'd be a fantastic race! A beautiful area and, on the right date, I reckon HHRs will be out in force, and we'll certainly head up from Lochaber. We had a trip out there in the summer to run the whole ridge down to Portree, but foul weather saw us bale out at Beinn Edra and cut down below the crags and back to the cars.

There's a thought....have you considered 2 races in 1? A shorter option together with the full Trotternish Ridge? Might attract a few more?
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

I'd be interested for sure. Is there much around September, though the start of September wouldnt work for me this year as it happens. Or early / mid May, though again, no use for me this year.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Ben race on the first Saturday and, after that, English schools are back which would affect families trying to come up for it. What about mid-August to tie in with the Skye Games race on the Wednesday? Runners get a "2 for the price of 1" and EVERYONE should come along to a Highland Games at least once, plenty for all the family to enjoy.
    (just don't mention the August midges!)
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog