Thread: AW fell article

AW fell article

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/featu...e-fells-41092/

Interesting one...

I don't think it's too bad if you're looking at the very basics but these articles are always up for debate. Not so sure some RO's will agree with "just rock up and have a go" kind of thing though
    Last edited by CalFerguson; 29-03-2016 at 01:38 PM.
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Darwen Dashers Calvin View Post
    http://www.athleticsweekly.com/featu...e-fells-41092/

Interesting one...

I don't think it's too bad if you're looking at the very basics but these articles are always up for debate. Not so some RO's will agree with "just rock up and have a go" kind of thing though
    I particulary like the fact there is no mention of mandatory kit, navigational skills or mountain safety in general for that matter! Don't worry though as "All race route maps are posted online, so they are very easy to find."
    Unbelievable!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

It's better than the last one but still misses quite a bit.
    I know the lad who wrote it and often call him 'AW's Fell Running expert'. Entirely tongue-in-cheek, of course. He has experience mainly of races in the Peak - where you can just rock up and run - but there's no delineation of races. You can do this at short Peak races, but at a lot of fell races you definitely can't.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

It's not the worst article I've ever seen, in fact it's not too bad at all really.

However I can't agree with the "get in the gym" section regarding doing one-legged squats on a boss ball etc. Strength is strength, and should be trained as such. Squats are brilliant and I do them several times a week. One legged squats even better if you can do them. But the notion that squatting on a bosu ball will give you increased stability on the fells is pretty far-fetched (in my non professional opinion).

As I regularly mention on here I am confined to the gym for at least 95% of my training, as it is the only way round here to get the consistent ascent in my runs. But just have to make the most of what you have got. I am firmly of the opinion that you should use the gym for what it's there for, building strength, power, cardio, stamina. None of which directly transfer to actual fell running technical ability, without time on the fells as well.

Pacing. . .why are roadies so obsessed with pacing and cadence? I've never found pacing to be of any relevance in fell racing.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

he's an orienteer first, XC second then some Fell.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy