Thread: Merrell Bare Access GTX

Merrell Bare Access GTX

Just a few words on these. I like minimal shoes. My favourites were Vivobarefoot Neo Trails ... but they aren't so easy to get now. The only problem with them is that on stony tracks, they offer little protection from painful bruising if you happen to land hard on a sharp stone.
    I recently bought a pair of Merrell Bare Access GTX shoes (about 63 quid from Amazon). They are stiffer than Vivobarefoot and have a layer of impact protection. They are also waterproof. There is, I think, zero drop from heel to toe.

So far they have been excellent. There isn't quite the same feedback as a barefoot shoe...but that's not such a bad thing when the feedback is painful. There is still decent ground feel. Lugs are 4mm and give good grip on everything but the slickest mud. The are very comfortable, with a wide toe box. Sizing is on the small side...go up a half or full size.

They feel really well built and durable. I would say a great everyday shoe...especially in wet weather. I'm not sure whether Merrell are persevering with their trail shoes. I hope so.

Super Moderator
    Gore-Tex lined "barefoot" shoes? Ideal for the fella who had a go at a barefoot Bob a bit ago assuming you can wear them with crampons
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I wouldn't describe them as barefoot really mate (unlike the Trail Glove). They are too stiff and there is a few mm of cushion. However, they are zero drop. They suit someone like me who likes barefoot shoes but doesn't like bruised heels (in other words, softees). I reckon they would be a great Bob shoe... and they are actually stiff enough to take something like Kahtoola micro spikes. I went for the GTX version mainly because I wanted to try a waterproof fell/trail shoe to see if is better having dry feet in the winter months.