Thread: National 12-stage

National 12-stage

Anyone else in? Last minute call-up to the HHS not-quite-as-dreamy-as-it-could-be team for me as I'm sort of unavailable, but I couldn't resist a 3.5h round trip to run just under 5km in a park.

What's happened to me?

(I just love team races!)
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

As far as I know, our men's team didn't qualify from the Midlands but I reckon our women's team might have made the cut.

If you've not ran at Sutton Park before Nic, it's a cracking venue. Undulating open tarmac paths (some in better condition than others) through open park & woodland, easy to park up 2 minutes from the start & convivial atmosphere.

An aside, I'm never sure which is better (or worse, for that matter!) - running the brutal opening legs with blistering pace; or, the torture of lonely time-trialling in the latter legs. I've only experienced the latter, not having the pace for the former.

Hope you have a good 'un!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam W View Post
    As far as I know, our men's team didn't qualify from the Midlands but I reckon our women's team might have made the cut.

If you've not ran at Sutton Park before Nic, it's a cracking venue. Undulating open tarmac paths (some in better condition than others) through open park & woodland, easy to park up 2 minutes from the start & convivial atmosphere.

An aside, I'm never sure which is better (or worse, for that matter!) - running the brutal opening legs with blistering pace; or, the torture of lonely time-trialling in the latter legs. I've only experienced the latter, not having the pace for the former.

Hope you have a good 'un!
    Women's teams don't have to qualify, they just enter. The hail shower at the end was entertaining!

I'd ran there before. Circumstance meant a short leg this time and whilst I was passed by a lot of famous vests (including Tipton) I managed to pass one myself! Take that Ronhill Cambuslang! Started off just behind Adam Osbourne from Leeds AC and finished further behind, but closer than I'd have anticipated.

Last leg for Highgate was Scottish Hill runner (and former GB orienteer) Murray Strain (1st on Leg1 FRAs 2014) - was following the last couple of legs on Twitter, sounds like Andy Maud monstered it!

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    I'd ran there before. Circumstance meant a short leg this time and whilst I was passed by a lot of famous vests (including Tipton) I managed to pass one myself! Take that Ronhill Cambuslang! Started off just behind Adam Osbourne from Leeds AC and finished further behind, but closer than I'd have anticipated.

Last leg for Highgate was Scottish Hill runner (and former GB orienteer) Murray Strain (1st on Leg1 FRAs 2014) - was following the last couple of legs on Twitter, sounds like Andy Maud monstered it!
    Just had a quick look at the write up on Athletics Weekly website - quickest long leg 25:28; quickest short leg 15:14. That's something else on that course!

Glad you had a good 'un, Nic. I ran leg 10 (short) at the Midlands & remember feeling some elation passing a couple of runners on the same leg as all was beginning to feel pretty lonely by then!

Further results geeking suggests I'm at the same level as the best females (17:11, fastest female short leg was 17:01) = although I'm guessing they didn't do a hills session on Thursday

It is a tough course is Sutton although I prefer it to Sunderland. Way off full fitness but really enjoy the road relays. Atmosphere on the home straight is superb. Great to see a lot of the top boys at each other. We were 9mins quicker than last year but a place further back. Although I think the long legs were slightly shorter than last year.