Thread: Training whilst injured

Training whilst injured

So I'm approaching 6weeks without any proper run training which I'm dealing with relatively well (I've stopped stomping round the house and throwing things). A knee problem which kicked in at the end of January and has now turned into a lowerback/hamstring strain issue has stopped me running more that 5km for most of the last month and a hal (down from 50+miles a week)f. My question: is what do people do when they are injured? Ride? Swim? Any ways to stop the rot of running muscles?

Cheers for the recommendations!

Matt

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Firstly, don't panic! The rot takes a lot longer to set in than you would think. Yes you may lose the top end so to speak but the core fitness and stamina dissipates slowly. If you can cross train without aggravating the injury further, then do so- cycling, swimming etc, but also take the time to evaluate how you came to be injured in the first place and take steps to avoid it happening again. Above all rest although it's probably not what you want to hear!
    I have struggled on and off for years with injury culminating last year in a nasty muscle tear which I persisted on running through. That was June and I have only just got back to running any kind of distance again.. With hindsight, I should have rested more and worked on the recovery sooner. I'm sure I would have been back earlier if I had done so.
    Good luck - hope you're on the mend soon
    Last edited by PeteS; 17-04-2016 at 05:56 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I herniated a disc in my back 3 weeks ago which forced me to take an overdue & much needed rest. After a few days of nothing I hit the pool, doing 1-2 miles crawl. As much as it was great to be doing something, nothing beats the thrill of running up hills. Finally got back to it on Friday & again today. I suspect we all run when injured. Speak to any fell runner at a race & they will have a "niggle". Best advice I was given was "manage your injuries". Be that shortening your runs, slowing down or more rest days. It is very easy to think of yourself as bulletproof when running well & injury free, but I think it is wise to have the odd week off here & there.

Good luck Matt.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I always get on the bicycle when I have a running injury: cycling has been possible, and even beneficial for recovery, with just about every running injury I have ever had. But you will need to be a bit careful if it's a knee injury: don't cycle in too high a gear!

If I have had a few weeks with only cycling and no running, I do find it tough to get back into the running at first, but usually get back to reasonable running fitness within two or three weeks.

Finally, I definitely agree with Jez about "manage your injuries".

I've been injured a long time, couple of years now. Not been running since October, acl, then eventually hamstring problems etc. Recently taken up cycling and can do that a few times per week which is good but agree that finding out the cause of the injury is best investment of time. I'm finding out all sorts of things about tight muscle groups, a tilted pelvis etc etc and I think taking the time to address al that will get me back full time without risking more injuries showing up as soon as I start.

I tore a hamstring two years ago and was out of running for 8 weeks. I found that spinning and the step machine thing kept my 'fitness' up and I regained my previous level quite quickly. I tried to do the same time on the machines as I did running I.e. an hour a day.
    It was very frustrating and I tried a few times to get running before I was ready only to make things worse. Good luck.Neil

I tried aqua jogging. You will get lots of funny looks, feel like a right plonker and get bored quickly but pretty good for using the same muscles i think.

Hi Matthew. There is a handy wee book called "The Anatomy of Runner" by Jay Dichary.

In it there are tests for posture, stability, strenght imbalances etc.

It took me half an hour to complete the tests (with help from my partner).
    There are then exercise to start for correction etc.

It is all pro-active positive stuff.

(There are other books out there this one worked well for me)

It also gives guidelines on when to run and when you cant (i.e favours running).

I had calf tightness on and off for the last 6 weeks. Dusted this book off, and finally im getting stuck in and getting places.

It works and good for the head to feel youre taking action. Recommended to buy, borrow or steal.

Well I feel like it's beginning to get better. I've entered a MTB race type thing in the Cheviots and I'm doing lots of strength work. I managed about 8km with only an ache followed by twinges so that's a massive improvement. It's still 5months till the Rab, plenty of time to get fit.

Sigh... Still getting pain on the tuberosity. Beginning to think its likely to be a hamstring tendinopathy... Which means all the hamstring stretching has probably just been aggravating it. Bloody brilliant