Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: More Mile Cheviot 3

Just saw today there's a Cheviot 4 out. Looks OK but only goes up to size 11, I'm 11.5. They're £40 now so price creeping up, nowhere near new Inov8's but I got a pair of Mudclaws today for £65 from Sportsshoes.com.

Quote Originally Posted by neilly View Post
    Just saw today there's a Cheviot 4 out. Looks OK but only goes up to size 11, I'm 11.5. They're £40 now so price creeping up, nowhere near new Inov8's but I got a pair of Mudclaws today for £65 from Sportsshoes.com.
    Exactly, I normally take 11.5 but they recommend going half a size up. GoOutdoors has the Cheviot 4 for £30, but their size 12 is showing as 'Out of stock'. I asked More Miles if they are planning to get any size 12 in stock, but they're not, which is a bit rubbish.

I recently bought a pair of Cheviot 4 - online price £25 from https://moremile.co.uk/. I'm size 10. Looking good after some hard racing and Bob Graham support. Cannot fault the grip, and uppers in good shape after really rough ground, so they are now the replacement for my worn out Mudclaws.

Good value shoes with great grip. I'll be wearing mine on the Wharfedale Three Peaks tomorrow.

I've had several pairs of Cheviots (various models) over the last several years. I have run thousands of miles in them without any difficulty arising from sole delamination. (I wonder, are those few people who report such problems drying their shoes with too much heat, which is a common cause of delamination?)

The only issue I've had is sometimes the uppers wear on the upper outside but I find this happens with other shoe brands anyway and is easily repaired with Shoe Fix or Aquasure.

The soles are extremely grippy, giving confidence on steep slippery ground (especially when descending). They are also firm enough to give pretty good cushioning to the foot on lumpy terrain.

It's always interested me that running magazines generally don't include these shoes in reviews of what's available. This begs the question as to whether such reviews are genuinely unbiased, or whether the media is in the pockets of certain well known manufacturers?

Also, although I've run a lot in shoes made by better known manufacturers as well, I just can't see why they try to justify asking FOUR TIMES the price of these excellent Cheviot shoes. (Or has fashion been allowed to take over in the fell running community?) As long as the design of the Cheviots doesn't change significantly, I'll certainly keep on buying them; they're a really good, non-gimmicky product, fairly priced - and which do the job.

Quote from Long John
    "It's always interested me that running magazines generally don't include these shoes in reviews of what's available. This begs the question as to whether such reviews are genuinely unbiased, or whether the media is in the pockets of certain well known manufacturers?"

I think you are right LJ.

The same happens with cycling gear. Sportful is my brand of choice for shorts/jerseys as their fit is spot on for me. However, for gloves, base layers, over shoes, mitts etc Aldi's own brand Crane is certainly as good as any of the "top" brands that I have tried.

Never seen any of them reviewed in Cycling Weekly!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 09-07-2019 at 08:24 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Well observed Long John. The big name brands have capitalised on fashion and trends. We are easily led by the nose via pseudoscience. The sports drinks industry is a prime example. The whole hydration nonsense has generated vast income based on stirring up peoples expectations, desires and fears. And making it fashionable. Wo betide any scientist that tries to debunk the myth. Witness he huge row between Tim Noakes and gatorade.
    But for some people, they will happily shell out £100 plus on a shoe thats 'on trend' but functionally no better than a Cheviot. No place for sneering. Its their choice. Me, I'm happy in my cheviots.

Mindyou I would never be caught dead driving a Vauxhall!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Quote from Long John
    "It's always interested me that running magazines generally don't include these shoes in reviews of what's available. This begs the question as to whether such reviews are genuinely unbiased, or whether the media is in the pockets of certain well known manufacturers?"

I think you are right LJ.

The same happens with cycling gear. Sportful is my brand of choice for shorts/jerseys as their fit is spot on for me. However, for gloves, base layers, over shoes, mitts etc Aldi's own brand Crane is certainly as good as any of the "top" brands that I have tried.

Never seen any of them reviewed in Cycling Weekly!
    No, but what we do see in the current CW are adverts for Cube SLT, Le Col, UYN, Castrelli, dhb, endura and Lusso: all of which would presumably stop advertising if CW suggested that riders need only shop at Aldi - followed by a rise in the CW cover price.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".