Thread: Best Hamstring Exercise

Best Hamstring Exercise

Anybody know of the best exercise for stretching very short hamstrings. I can get my hands just past my knees when trying to touch my toes. I'm pretty sure this has contributed to 4 slipped discs over the last 25 years! I've heard Pilates is good.

Pilates is good for problems such as you have mentioned, it sounds like lumbar spine mobility might be an area to focus on. I've never heard of anyone with such short hamstrings, are you sure you're not severely restricted in the lumbar? Pilates would help that.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I get short hamstrings. I do yoga but it isn't great. The only thing that really works for me is to stretch straight after running (not before, that's useless).

I've tried to find a picture of what I do,, but can't so I'll try to describe it. Basically there are two ways:
    1. You need a waist high wall for this. Stand on one leg straight up facing the wall, hoik the other leg on top of the wall so it's straight out in front of you and the back of your heel is on the wall (leave your shoes on or it hurts your heel). Lean forward and pull your foot back towards you.
    2. You need a wall to lean against for this one. Lean against a wall forwards like you're trying to push the wall over. Move one leg as close to 90 degrees from your straight(ish) body and put the heel on the floor. Keeping both legs straight, reach down with one hand (keeping the other on the wall pushing) and pull the toes-end of your foot back towards you.

You'll see they are the same stretch, just in different orientations. You can also do it lying on the floor with one leg sticking in the air. This works equally well but not something I do outside work after my lunchtime runs.

You're probably right about slipped discs. When my hamstrings get too tight, it's normally the weaker muscles in my back that end up pulling.

Good luck. You might have to adapt these to slightly less straight legs to start with. You sound like you've never stretched after running and are paying the price for it now. Keep at it, you'll be surprised how quickly you can stretch them over subsequent days and weeks, but only if they're really warmed up first.

I was plagued with hamstring/lower back/ periformis problems for ages till I started Pilates a year ago. That, and regular stetching has really helped and Im rarely troubled by it now. I could never touch my toes before but now its no bother. I do Pilates 4 times a week.

Cheers guys, I appreciate all the advice. Stretching really does seem like the way to go & Pilates.
    I'll start this weekend. It would be very strange to be able to touch my toes after all theses years!

I've found this really helpful. If you can't bothered to read it scroll down to the video at the bottom which is the stretch I've been doing.

http://breakingmuscle.com/yoga/help-...tie-hamstrings

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I've found this really helpful. If you can't bothered to read it scroll down to the video at the bottom which is the stretch I've been doing.

http://breakingmuscle.com/yoga/help-...tie-hamstrings
    Cheers Mathew.

I never had problems with my hamstring before but it started last October and I thought it was a cramp because I was out on Caringorms hills for nearly 8-10 hours and the water I carried was frozen so had nothing to drink. 6 months down the line its still there. Its right at the back of the knee where the hamstring end joins (I think its hamstring tendonitis). I can run but whenever I increase my pace and after 10 miles or so it gets tighter and tighter as if its about to cramp really bad and I tend to get slower and slower to the point I have to walk. It feels as I have something stuck at the bend of the knee. I keep hoping I will run it off but now been thinking to go and see someone. I was doing hamstring stretches but someone mentioned that it could be over-lengthening of the hamstring rather than the tightening and need to do more quads stretches than the hamstrings. Anyone has any better ideas?

Its where the finger is pointing.

PS, the pain has moved different places on the hamstring over the 6 months period and its now at the bottom behind the knee.

IMG_20160324_132836854_HDR[1].jpg

_|_
    ./\.

how's it going with the old hamstring stretching Jez? have you gained any inches since you started?