Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bogs

Re: Bogs

I can vouch for winter hill being boggy on my recent recce of winter hill I ended up to mid thigh level a couple of times. Slight miscalculation of how hard the ground looked.

I've gone waist deep on top of kinder and on high street as well.

I did morcambe bay race when it was first done and at one point I was ankle deep in quicksand but thats different altogether

I was coming off Gt Whernside on the Fellsman the other year and stepped into a bog upto my chest. Caused great amusement to the other 3 guys in our group until they realised I had stepped through the carcase of a half decayed sheep which had also made ths bog its final resting place. The stink was horrendous. Still had about 8 miles to go. The smell just got worse as I heated up. Had to shower fully clothed at the end !! Happy Days
    If you cant change something, change the way you feel about it !

Yeah, sometimes the washing machine gets contaminated with a horrendous smell, stinks the house out and lasts for weeks, no doubt off socks that have been through something unspeakable.

We have a different class of bog around here, rarely more than ankle deep, but when there are farm animals around the colour often gives away what the bog is made up of!

I went up to my chest in a bog during the Crowden Horseshoe last year (I haven't washed the shirt to prove it).

For a few seconds I really did think "well, that's curtains then". I was well tailed off too, but I knew there were a couple of people behind me still.

I got out by leaning forward to distribute my weight and then I sort of scrambled out. But I was really shaken up and pretty much stopped running for the rest of the race (finished last).

Just how dangerous are bogs? Is it possible to drown in one, or disappear completely? I've never heard of it happening but I get nervous now, even crossing benign looking marshes and bogs.

If you're shorter than the bog is deep then I reckon you'd be in a spot of bother!

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by millipede
    Sounds exactly like this bloody forum to me.
    Flat and desolate? Sucks you in? Or just that there should be dire warnings about it....?

Been in up to my waist twice on Brown Knoll which the Edale Skyline goes over. First time it was just me and the dog and it was very scary, took me a good few minutes of 'breaststroke' type movements to get out . The second time I was with Andy J and he threw one end of his bum bag to me to pull me out. Definitely not advisable when running on your own.

A little town nestling in the pennine foothills

Had some funny moments where the person you are running with vanishes in front of you. I usually takes a few minutes for whoever you are with to stop laughing and then think about pulling you out. Just check you still have the Walshes then off you go. A bit smelly for the rest of the run though.