Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicky's Double

Looks to be over an hour up at Wasdale - great stuff!!

she's just about to turn around at Yewbarrow and run back to Keswick. Only TWO HOURS up on schedule!
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Why is she reversing at Yewbarrow instead of carrying on for a 'lap' as you would normally?

it's a "thing" apparently: Keswick to Yewbarrow, then back to Keswick, then the remaining tops to the south of Keswick until she reaches Yewbarrow, then turn around and head back to Keswick. It's the way the other "double" was done.....
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    It's also far easier to manage support that way as wasdale is relatively remote and you only really visit it once.
    Last edited by PeteS; 14-05-2016 at 03:55 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Also, I understand that (for some unaccountable reason) Nicky isn't a great fan of Broad Stand. This cunning arrangement means that it gets ticked off twice in quick succession relatively early on, and in full daylight.
    Plus, I guess that psychologically it could be good to do sections in reversed direction. It must feel much less like "OMG, here we go for for a second lap of the same"; and to be successful in an enterprise as epic as this, you need your mind on board as much as your body.

She looks to be going phenomenally well at this stage - well over 2 hours up on a 47 hour schedule as she hits Dunmail for the second time.
    The caveat must be that when we talk of a 'schedule' for a double Bob, there's not exactly a lot of existing data!
    I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to jinx this fantastic effort by speculating about a possible finish time. She's willing herself to do something extraordinary that challenges human physiology, and anything could happen.

Potentially, she could achieve something amazing, but she's still within the first 24 hours, and it's the second that'll be crucial.

As I'm typing, she appears to have descended to Dunmail. I don't know how I can feel so gripped watching a pointy red balloon with a white '1' on it edge jerkily across a map by tiny increments.

I might have to go and watch Eurovision instead to help cope with the tension...
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Will the battery on the tracker last; it's indicating 51% left. We may be left in the dark at the end. Hopefully the support crew are carrying a backup.

Super Moderator
    I'm just going to bed for the second time since Nicky set off. It wont be far off bed time again when she finishes. "Epic" is sometimes not epic enough
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Now two and a half hours up on schedule as she approaches Robinson....what an amazing run!!!

Super Moderator
    What a performance
    Poacher turned game-keeper