Thread: Trails Cathares

Trails Cathares

Just back from southern France for a long weekend and think it worth drawing attention to these races down in the Hautes Corbieres.

The website for the various races is here:

https://les3ventshautescorbieres.com/

There is 21km option (Trail de Qeribus), a 52km option (Course des Seigneurs) and a two day stage race option (45km + 50 km) for mixed relay pairs or individuals.

I went for the 50k, my first race back after I was smashed up by the mountain biker late last July. My wife Alison went for the 21km.

The races are a touch unusual in that they visit, and you run through, various famous Cathar castles. On the 50K, these include Peyrepertuse and Queribus. The 20k visits Queribus. Both races also pass close by Chateau Padern.

The terrain is a mixture of friendly trail and some very technical limestone "running" and one distinctly dangerous descent on a steep, bare trail through thick woodland, where small trees had to be used for braking and the prevention of accidents! Think weathered clints and grikes liberally interspersed with trees, bushes, roots and plants, all with ankle catching capability, but at 600 metres plus.

Relatively small field in the 50k (about 150), higher numbers in the 21k. The races are based in the tiny (population 180) village of Cucugnan which is about an hour and a half south east of Carcassone. We flew there from Manchester.

The 50k was well organised. The course was well marked and there were additional aid stations to those planned. These were a great help as the temps reached 23 degrees C later in the race.

I tripped and took a nasty fall after around 30k approaching Queribus, smashing up my left knee, my nose and forehead. Lots of blood involved. Fortunately I was only 200 metres from an aid station and was sorted out in about 15 minutes by 3 paramedics. The attention was quick and sensible. They were content when I decided to press on for the remaining 22k.

Really happy with my 8.35 after such a long time away from ultras. Alison was first FV2 (LV50) in the 21k with 2.55 and within 58 seconds of the FV1 winner.

Good atmosphere, friendly locals, good weather (bar a stiff NW'erly (mistral?)blowing at 40-50 mph up at 900 metres which made for some exciting ridge running.)

Good food after the races. One free beer with your number but, as one might expect, as much red wine as one could quaff if minded. A fine red Corbieres, Chateau Trillol, is made in the village and there was a full barrel in the food tent.

A few in race photos here to give the flavour of the races and terrain:

https://www.facebook.com/morgan.will...81?pnref=story

Highly recommended for those prepared to travel.

Morgan
    Last edited by MorganW; 18-05-2016 at 08:05 AM.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.