Thread: Ibuleve

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Ibuleve

My wife reckons Ibuleve gel is excellent for relieving muscle soreness in her shoulders and arms after playing tennis. Does anyone on the Forum use Ibuleve? Is it (a) an effective treatment, (b) a useful placebo, (c) totally useless, or (d) any other opinion? I ask because I am getting some soreness in my calves and Achilles tendons at the moment.

Master
    Topical NSAIDs probably work by a combination of systemic absorption and the beneficial effects of rubbing something - anything - over the affected area. If you rub it on one knee for example, it ends up in both knee joints' fluid in equal concentrations.

Gels do have fewer gastric side effects than tablets/capsules, but they can still cause all the side effects of NSAIDs - bleeding from the upper gastrointestinal tract, electrolyte imbalance, renal failure, asthma .....

Whist they can help musculoskeletal aches and pains, they can also interfere with muscle/tendon/ligament adaptation and healing, and mask important injuries.

Overall, I would not advise this class of drugs, whether by mouth or topically.

The consultant that I've seen a few times with my Osteoarthritis recommended Voltarol, which is Diclofenac rather than Ibuprofen. I was quite surprised and asked him if it really worked. He assured me it did.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    The consultant that I've seen a few times with my Osteoarthritis recommended Voltarol, which is Diclofenac rather than Ibuprofen. I was quite surprised and asked him if it really worked. He assured me it did.
    Unfortunately Diclofenac is also a NSAID and comes with all the same side effects and issues that Mike has pointed out.

I have long since stopped taking any kind of pain relief for sports injuries and to be fair have not noticed any great detriment or benefit from doing so. Rest if severe, ice and compression can also be beneficial depending on the injury without resorting to chemicals. However, the most important thing by far is to diagnose how the injury occurred and take appropriate remedial action to prevent reoccurrence.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    However, the most important thing by far is to diagnose how the injury occurred and take appropriate remedial action to prevent reoccurrence.
    Yes, by far.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Thank you, everyone, for your comments. I was aware of concerns about NSAIDs, although I didn't realise that there was such a long list as Mike quoted. I have used Ibuprofen (on medical advice) on two occasions in the past: it didn't do me any apparent harm, but it didn't seem to do much good either.

I have long since stopped taking any kind of pain relief for sports injuries and to be fair have not noticed any great detriment or benefit from doing so. Rest if severe, ice and compression can also be beneficial depending on the injury without resorting to chemicals.
    Yes, I am in full agreement here. Pain is important as an indicator that something is wrong, and I would never take anything purely for pain relief (unless I ever developed some intractable condition that involved chronic pain).

Anyway, I will now do what I usually do when my calves or Achilles tendons play up: lay off running for two or three weeks, and take my exercise on the bicycle. I reckon cycling may even promote healing for this type of injury. I'm just rather annoyed because I was looking forward to Mount Famine this Saturday, a race that I haven't done before.

However, the most important thing by far is to diagnose how the injury occurred and take appropriate remedial action to prevent reoccurrence.
    Now that's the difficult bit. Last Sunday I had a glorious run in the evening sunshine, 57 minutes of bliss on a beautiful, hilly, off-road route with birds singing; not too fast, just a good, steady pace; and I even remembered to do a calf stretch when I got back home. No discomfort at all on the run, but I noticed some stiffness in my calves on Monday morning. Next run was Wednesday, just 32 minutes, with calves feeling dreadful most of the way round. So, no idea what caused the stiffness. I suppose I just need to do the calf strengthening exercises more regularly.

Cochrane review if it's any help...http://www.cochrane.org/CD007402/SYM...al-pain-adults