Thread: Alpujarras/Sierra Nevada

Alpujarras/Sierra Nevada

We are going to stay in Capileira on Monday for 10 days. Has anyone been near there - the running looks amazing - so long as it's not to hot. Anyone been up Mulhalcien (sp) or reccomend any good walks, runs, wines etc.

went a while ago (BR: before running): it was ace, you'll love it.
    Lots of air dried meat (I'm veggie) and fantastic hills and walks. This is pretty good: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walk-Alpuja.../dp/1904946232
    ....it's all downhill from here.

We went there in early April this year, and stayed near Capileira. I'd recommend the TeterĂ­a Baraka Restaurant - not expensive but lovely.

We were very impressed with the whole area. We were doing family walks rather than runs but the routes could work for both. The best site we found was: http://www.treksierranevada.com/. This has short, medium and long walks.

There's also a hippy commune near Capileira, which gives the town a strange Hebden Bridge-esque feel. For example, on market day there were loads of the normal Spanish rural types buying vegetables, and in-between the market stalls were a couple playing didgeridoos not very well but with lots of earnest commitment.

If you fancy a few rest days, there's some half-decent rock climbing, we also went horse trekking for a half day (near Lanjaron) which was fun.

Enjoy!

See "Walking in the Sierra Nevada" (Cicerone Press) by Andy Walmsley - was "Trundler" then "Fellhound" in this here parish.
    He spent several summers down there researching the book, late 80's / early 90's, I spent most of August '92 in the area, taking photographs.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!