Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wasdale advice please

Wasdale advice please

I've always wanted to have a go at this but I know it's a beast. As a back of the field runner I've done ALs like the Edale Skyline, Duddon Valley, Helvellyn & the Dodds and the Haworth Hobble all within the cut-off times. But how much of a step up is Wasdale? I'd be interested to hear from slower runners who've attempted it.
    Run the race. Keep the faith.
    (2 Tim 4:7)

Master
    I have only done it once - toughest thing I have ever done - in 2013 - it was a championship race that year, so despite being well towards the back of the field I was never on my own - it took me 6.39. It is, roughly, one third of a Bob Graham. Ennerdale was the next toughest, and Borrowdale, Duddon and Y3Ps are probably next on my list.

I only made the cutoff on Great Gable by a minute or two, and each col I came to I thought "I will pull out at the next one" but somehow managed to keep going. As long as you are fit and uninjured and the weather is OK it is a great day out. I would not do it if one or more of those is missing.

Hi Rev.
    I've done Wasdale twice. The first time probably without enough training. I set out a bit too fast and struggled between seatallen and gable and made it through the gable cut off through the good will of the Marshalls. The second time I was more reserved through the first section of the race and cleared the gable cut off comfortably. My advice is to go at your own pace and see how it goes. Obvious really, but if you make it to gable you're home and dry. Still a long drag to the finish but no cut offs to beat. Good luck!

I did it last year for the first time, probably the toughest thing I've done. Took me a fraction over 6hrs, totally wiped me out. Toughest I'd done before this was Mickledon Straddle, Blakey Blitz, Edale Skyline and 3 Peaks Race, but Wasdale was like stepping up to another level for me, especially the terrain we were running over, oh and the feet of ascent. To give you an idea my 3 peaks time is usually about 4 and a half hours, Wasdale is 2 miles shorter but took me one and a half hours longer. Great race though, can't do this years race though but will be back one day to have a better crack at it.

Thanks for your comments. That's realistic but encouraging. I think I'll book the campsite and make an entry, then if internal and external conditions are favourable on the day, give it a go. If not, there are worse places to hang out for a weekend.
    Run the race. Keep the faith.
    (2 Tim 4:7)

Rev I've entered for the first time this year. Have done plenty of AL's however this will, as you say, be quite a step up. Although I have two arguably equally difficult AL's coming up before Wasdale in preparation.

Interestingly I did the Haworth Hobble this year as well. By comparison, I did the Hobble in 6hrs11 and I am hoping to go slightly faster at Wasdale, but realistically expecting a similar time (obviously if the conditions are poor then anything could happen).

It's a monstrous race and really I think you just have to do it once to get an idea of the scale, distance etc before having a proper go at it.

I did it in 2014 and crawled home in 5.25. I went into it in pretty good shape from a winter of cross country, a fair few lakes AM races combined with quite a fair few 18-20m runs on the flat in and around Newcastle where here I was living at the time. The distance and sheer amount of climbing is what does you in though. I bonked twice, the second time coming off sca fell pike, lol. I do think I was on a bit of a bad day but I just didn't have the long fell training runs required really. Looking back I also think I ran the first section too quickly even though at the time I thought I was holding back.

Go and give it a go, enjoy the views and just trot round until you get to Pillar and then see how you feel. The race starts from Pillar and thr climb up the back of Gable is a proper beast. If you're feeling good you'll be able to maintain your lace if you've gone too quick well it'll be a long rest of the day. There's plenty of water available along the route. Conditions clag wise weren't too bad the year I ran it but I can imagine around Seatallan to Pillar could be a nightmare so make sure you're ok nav wise.

An epic race, probably the most ruined I've felt during any event and that includes all my road marathons but well worth it just for the vibe, sense of achievement and Joss Naylor handing out juice in Greendale. Fully intend to have another bash in years to come when I'm better prepared for it. Truly memorable day.

Rev - my advice would be to go up and recce round it

pace it seriously from the start and get a feel for the effort needed to make the Seatallan cut-off - that will give a good idea of what's involved

you can then ease up and enjoy the rest while bearing in mind that on race day you'd have to keep up that effort all the way up to Pillar and then down to Gable
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Get hills in. And as Daz says, get a recce in if possible. Mainly the second section from Wasdale via Seatallen to Pillar/ Kirkfell area. Good luck, great race/run.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

also thinking of doing this but just wondering

It says entries are limited to 250 how many normally enter would you need to pre-enter early?
    Also is the campsite referenced in - http://www.cfra.co.uk/wasdaledetails.pdf is close to the race start point and is it the Nation Trust campsite https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/fea...sdale-campsite ?

cheers