Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wasdale advice please

Quote Originally Posted by foggon View Post
    also thinking of doing this but just wondering

It says entries are limited to 250 how many normally enter would you need to pre-enter early?
    Also is the campsite referenced in - http://www.cfra.co.uk/wasdaledetails.pdf is close to the race start point and is it the Nation Trust campsite https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/fea...sdale-campsite ?

cheers
    It doesn't usually get anywhere near full unless it is a championship year, and even then it doesn't sell out early.

The NT campsite at Brackenclose is right next to the start.

Epic race!
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Richard View Post
    I've always wanted to have a go at this but I know it's a beast. As a back of the field runner I've done ALs like the Edale Skyline, Duddon Valley, Helvellyn & the Dodds and the Haworth Hobble all within the cut-off times. But how much of a step up is Wasdale? I'd be interested to hear from slower runners who've attempted it.
    If you've completed Duddon Valley this should stand you in good stead for Wasdale although it is a step up in terms of distance, terrain and ascent.

I'm also a back of the field runner these days although I completed Edale well within the cut offs this year. Last time I did the race back in 2014 I was higher up the field and I was well within the Wasdale cut offs. I've entered this year and I don't know if I will make the cut offs this time.

I think the plan is not to set off too fast up the first hill and also to take it easy on the steep descent back down to the valley. The race does not start until Pillar!

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Richard View Post
    Thanks for your comments. That's realistic but encouraging. I think I'll book the campsite and make an entry, then if internal and external conditions are favourable on the day, give it a go. If not, there are worse places to hang out for a weekend.
    Safe to say that external conditions were not favourable. Discretion was the better part of valour and it was clear there was no point in me even starting yesterday. So I offered to help and ended up marshalling at Esk Hause shelter. There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes, and with my thick winter down jacket under my waterproofs I was snug. Huge congratulations to everyone; I think every single person said thank you to us marshals as they passed, which was pretty impressive.
    Run the race. Keep the faith.
    (2 Tim 4:7)