Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trackers 20/21

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Trackers 20/21

Sorry should have posted here earlier

Few trackers out this evening.

Robert Spavin Friday 18.45 start http://live.opentracking.co.uk/bg2016/?n=12
    Gary Chapman Friday 18.45 start
    http://live.opentracking.co.uk/bg2016/?n=13

Steve Sanders Friday 18.00 start
    http://live.opentracking.co.uk/bg2016/?n=18

Alan Hirons Saturday 23.00 start
    http://live.opentracking.co.uk/bg2016/?n=20
    James

Diabetes is not an excuse its a reason www.howfast.org

All runners slightly off schedule at the moment. It must be tough navigating tonight. Good luck guys.
    When the fells call, they scream.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfall Harry View Post
    All runners slightly off schedule at the moment. It must be tough navigating tonight. Good luck guys.
    I can vouch for that...

I did the night leg for Steve. some of the worst conditions I've ever done. driving rain in to our face the whole way along with dense hill fog. At times I lost sight of my feet let alone any paths, we had a number of torch failures due to water ingress.
    I wore two goretex jackets over three layers of thermals and gtx overtrousers and was cold through out...
    Steve pulled out just heading for Rosett Pike just worn down by the conditions and losing time after a few minor nav errors with map and compass. Following a GPS track would have been easier but not in the spirit..

There was a team from Keighley 45minutes behind us on L2 not sure how they got on..

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I can vouch for that...

I did the night leg for Steve. some of the worst conditions I've ever done. driving rain in to our face the whole way along with dense hill fog. At times I lost sight of my feet let alone any paths, we had a number of torch failures due to water ingress.
    I wore two goretex jackets over three layers of thermals and gtx overtrousers and was cold through out...
    Steve pulled out just heading for Rosett Pike just worn down by the conditions and losing time after a few minor nav errors with map and compass. Following a GPS track would have been easier but not in the spirit..

There was a team from Keighley 45minutes behind us on L2 not sure how they got on..
    "Following a GPS track would have been easier but not in the spirit.." Many things have changed and improved since Bob Graham completed the ROUND: the footware, the clothes and other gear, the quality of the paths, the local knowledge possessed by the navigators. The only thing that always stays constant is the amount of effort required from the contender to cover the distance and climb within 24 hours. Many (if not most) contenders rely on navigators for accurate route finding which can improve their chance of success. The method used by the navigator to find the best way, i.e. good local knowledge, skilful map reading or GPS navigation does not lessen the effort required by the contender to complete the challenge; it just helps prevent doing distance and climb over and above what is required. A GPS track is nothing more than a map track, it is just easier to follow, especially in bad conditions. Events where navigation skills are an essential part of the challenge, are quite different from the BGR and use of GPS in those would be cheating.

Interesting points. I understand what you are saying about the challenge and the contenders effort. All very valid. I also understand the idea of using gps tracks not being in the spirit. I guess it's a sense of personal ethics. I know on my summer round (where I was heavily supported and just followed my excellent navigators) I felt that I somehow hadn't quite done it properly since it just became me and my physical/mental ability versus the round rather than it being a test of my mountaincraft/fellrunning ability (navigation, route choice etc.). I find greater satisfaction navigating off local knowledge and compass bearings, although it is nice to have a gps track to hand as a second voice of reassurance - particularly in testing conditions).

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    "Following a GPS track would have been easier but not in the spirit.." Many things have changed and improved since Bob Graham completed the ROUND: the footware, the clothes and other gear, the quality of the paths, the local knowledge possessed by the navigators. The only thing that always stays constant is the amount of effort required from the contender to cover the distance and climb within 24 hours. Many (if not most) contenders rely on navigators for accurate route finding which can improve their chance of success. The method used by the navigator to find the best way, i.e. good local knowledge, skilful map reading or GPS navigation does not lessen the effort required by the contender to complete the challenge; it just helps prevent doing distance and climb over and above what is required. A GPS track is nothing more than a map track, it is just easier to follow, especially in bad conditions. Events where navigation skills are an essential part of the challenge, are quite different from the BGR and use of GPS in those would be cheating.
    +1

I am not from fell running or scout background only did the basic map reading course couple of years ago and managed to find my way around the few MMs, obviously not taking the perfect lines and mainly direct lines from CP to CP and overshooting most of the times. I am still learning

However I now know the BGR route off my head and if someone asks me to navigate I would carry a GPS as a backup than a map/compass because I am more confident with it

_|_
    ./\.

Super Moderator
    Keighley lads dropped down to Wasdale short of finishing leg three Ian. Not a night for BG'ing by the sounds of it
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 22-05-2016 at 09:01 AM.
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Keighley lads dropped down to Wasdale short of finishing leg three Ian. Not a night for BG'ing by the sounds of it
    I was with the keighley lads on leg 2. It was quite grim. We were all fine and Gary and rob got into dunmail in good shape- both mentally and physically strong. They had a good leg 1 being 15 mins up but ended up being 15 mins down at dunmail- the conditions were such that you could only go so fast. From what I understand, conditions on leg 3 got even worse! They were two top guys - unfortunately the weather just got the better of us.

I was with Steve,along with his other support and we met the Keithley team around Seargent Man, we decided to call it a day at Thurnacar which looking at the Keithley tracer been down 2 hours on their expected time looks like a good decision although hard on the competitor at the time.
    There is always another day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    I was with the keighley lads on leg 2. It was quite grim. We were all fine and Gary and rob got into dunmail in good shape- both mentally and physically strong. They had a good leg 1 being 15 mins up but ended up being 15 mins down at dunmail- the conditions were such that you could only go so fast. From what I understand, conditions on leg 3 got even worse! They were two top guys - unfortunately the weather just got the better of us.
    Hi Bobster..it was I who shouted "Hello Keighly" as I led down of Fairfield. I also shouted at Dunmail as we drove away....wild night indeed