Thread: L3 & L4 Pacers 9-10 Sep

L3 & L4 Pacers 9-10 Sep

Hello All,

Could anyone support my second BG attempt for 9-10 September for Legs 3 and 4 please?

Last Fri I attempted my first BG after a year and a half of training about 50 miles a week with one full fell day every Monday- but was unsuccessful due to the weather and poor nav. I was running with two other BG runners- something I wouldn't now recommend with hindsight. From 9pm when we started the heavens opened until it stopped around 16 hrs later at 1pm, pretty bad luck as the forecast was for better weather at first light. I planned the date based on the full moon but hadn't seen that the Keswick Mountain Festival was on which soaked up all the potential support I could have had so didn't have any pacers who knew leg 3 (writing is on the wall at this point!!). So leg 1 went well thanks to two fantastic pacers, as did leg two although the two BG runners gave up around Helvellyn in appalling conditions that took away those same pacers (hence my earlier comment) leaving me with one safety runner who just made it into Dunmail! Leg three, 10 mins behind a 23:30 schedule, and I bumped into Nicky Spinks near Calf Crag which was the only good thing of the day. She was running with another BG attempt I think. We chatted briefly and that raised my morale a lot but it didn't raise the weather and my team got badly lost in the clouds despite previous recces, particularly around Bowfell and pretty much every peak until Scafell (sinking feeling). At 2.5hrs behind at Wasdale I called it a day although I still felt strong having eaten all the way round.

If anyone could support those legs for the September attempt it would be massively appreciated. Hopefully there's no major events on that weekend.

Many thanks.
    Last edited by Pegasus1; 23-05-2016 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Date change

Ben Nevis Race is that weekend which will soak up a few folk. Also, more 'minor' but sure to take a few out, Bullock Smithy same weekend. I'm doing BS myself. Good luck with gaining support and, hopefully, completeing!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Thanks for the advice, I've heard about the Ben Nevis race and if the Bullock Smithy is on the same weekend I'll postpone by a weekend to 9-10. Now to edit this thing... Thanks again.

Super Moderator
    Pegasus, I've edited your thread title to avoid confusion

Can I make a suggestion? If you live in Kendal why don't you plan a "light-weight attempt"? A couple of good runners per leg available at a week's notice. Keep an eye on the weather and go when it's settled. Just a thought. Good luck
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Thanks a lot for editing the title. I'm out of the country from next week until Late August so my window is very narrow, basically September. But I'll scope the support a few weeks before as you advise. I have Leg 1&2 sown up for pacers. Just 3&4 now. Thanks again.