Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BG Fitness

So I may as well add my 2p.

Myself and a friend completed the BG several weeks ago. Now although I had done a fair amount of training and recceing my friend had not (due to unforeseen injury and work commitments). He had managed a road marathon in 3h10 at the end of May. (Belfast)

Now according to his strava he had "only" managed 560km and 8000m in 2016 before he attempted his BG.

Now he did complete the BGR and would have done so in a very respectable time had he not slowed considerably towards the end of leg 4 and all of 5 due to injury. He basically developed anterior tibialis tendonitis, likely as a consequence of all the descending on untrained legs, and struggled with all the downhills due to pain. We did however cross the line with just over 30 minutes to spare despite this.

His background involves no long distance running or fell running, although he is a fairly decent club runner I guess.

I guess my point is that with a bit determination and the ability to keep on plodding along you can do anything and certainly get round the BGR.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NE Runner View Post
    So I may as well add my 2p.

Myself and a friend completed the BG several weeks ago. Now although I had done a fair amount of training and recceing my friend had not (due to unforeseen injury and work commitments). He had managed a road marathon in 3h10 at the end of May. (Belfast)

Now according to his strava he had "only" managed 560km and 8000m in 2016 before he attempted his BG.

Now he did complete the BGR and would have done so in a very respectable time had he not slowed considerably towards the end of leg 4 and all of 5 due to injury. He basically developed anterior tibialis tendonitis, likely as a consequence of all the descending on untrained legs, and struggled with all the downhills due to pain. We did however cross the line with just over 30 minutes to spare despite this.

His background involves no long distance running or fell running, although he is a fairly decent club runner I guess.

I guess my point is that with a bit determination and the ability to keep on plodding along you can do anything and certainly get round the BGR.
    Yes NE and that's a great account of grit and determination, but not a reason for not training. My first attempt ended in very narrow failure mainly due to lack of preparation. A second attempt a year later on a solid training base also meant I really enjoyed it from start to finish, almost the opposite from the previous attempt.