Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BG Fitness

BG Fitness

I am trying to understand how fit you need to be to complete the BG so:

To BG round completers what were your race running times (AL, marathon, etc) at the time you completed your BG

thanks

I was consistently 1/3 to 1/2 way down the field in pretty well any race other than short courses. Never done a road marathon so can't help you there, but my best half-marathon was 1:36.

It's not so much about race fitness but being able to keep going when you feel crap or the wind and rain are battering you or whatever.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Super Moderator
    I think there is a cut-off where "slower" runners lack the speed of movement to complete the round but Somerset you might be surprised where it is

As Bob suggests "fell hardness" and specific conditioning (hours on feet on rough and steep ground, often in rubbish weather) is what's needed. I don't think you can (easily) run yourself BG fit. Think about 1,000's of feet climbed (and at least as important, descended) and hours, not minutes on your feet. 10,000ft and 40miles a week is an oft quoted training regime and worked for me
    Poacher turned game-keeper

speed over 3-5 hours is no sign of success...time on your feet and loads of climbing...it's possible to walk all the way round...I'm sure some old boy did...

Master
    Somerset

the boys above have said it all. race times do not correlate, its about hours on feet, ability to keep going physically and probably more important psychologically. As DT has said put the hours in and climb up and down as much hill as you can. Recce the legs as a gauge of where you are.

As everyone said above, but if you want to compare race times I can give you an idea. I started fell running only after I found out about the BG so the races I did to lead up to the BG attempt in 2013 were

Haweswater Half - 1:43
    Thirsk 10miles - 1:10
    Allendale Challenge - 4:03
    London Marathon - 3:19
    Yorkshire 3 Peaks - 4:44
    Fairfield Horse Shoe - 2:00
    Ennerdale Horse Shoe - 6:09

But the main training was the long weekends over 10 hours run each day on the hills.

_|_
    ./\.

Hi all thanks for the general advice I've definitely been working on my "fell hardness" but just haven't run a specific section for a while to check progress. Thanks AK for your race info!

Build up to 40 miles a week/10, 000ft a week and, like everyone else is saying, being efficient over rough ground. I'd also work on base pace-something like being comfortable at running a 7min mile over 5 miles means a 10 min mile shouldn't cause you many problems. Also practise walking fast.

For what it's worth my typical times are 5hr ennerdale, 4hr duddon, 2hr anniversary waltz. But in my BG year i didn't do any races.
    Last edited by Bobster; 27-05-2016 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adnan Khan View Post
    As everyone said above, but if you want to compare race times I can give you an idea. I started fell running only after I found out about the BG so the races I did to lead up to the BG attempt in 2013 were

Haweswater Half - 1:43
    Thirsk 10miles - 1:10
    Allendale Challenge - 4:03
    London Marathon - 3:19
    Yorkshire 3 Peaks - 4:44
    Fairfield Horse Shoe - 2:00
    Ennerdale Horse Shoe - 6:09

But the main training was the long weekends over 10 hours run each day on the hills.

Interesting stats there Adnan! Thats a good marathon time in comparison to the rest. Most of your times are in the same ball park that I've managed in recent years, except the marathon! Maybe I'm not trying/training hard enough!! For the record my best is Dresden last year 3.45 or so!? Interesting though.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    Interesting stats there Adnan! Thats a good marathon time in comparison to the rest. Most of your times are in the same ball park that I've managed in recent years, except the marathon! Maybe I'm not trying/training hard enough!! For the record my best is Dresden last year 3.45 or so!? Interesting though.
    Thanks Ian. These were the Pre-BG race times and I came from road running so wasn't great on the uphills. I haven't done any of the fell races since BG but did Haweswater Half in 1:28 and London Marathon 2:57 last year, also getting slightly better on the climbs
    Last edited by Adnan Khan; 23-06-2016 at 12:45 PM.

_|_
    ./\.