Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera kit question

Camera kit question

Hi all,

Are there any photographers amongst us? If so, could anyone recommend a camera which could be taken out on training runs? Such features as; Good quality wide lens, robust, maybe water resistant, fairly light weight and easy enough to get in and out of your backpack?

I'm pretty new to the world of photography but would like to get some landscape shots and maybe some of my fellow runners when out on training. I currently have a Nikon D90 for taking pictures at races but that's way too cumbersome to go running with!

Any advice appreciated and thanks in advance

Stolly always takes a decent picture. Full depth of field, all distant hills there even in strong light! I did ask him once what he used but I've forgotten and never got round to getting one. Of course it may be all down to his photographic skills!!?....and Ian Charter might well give you advice of course!!
    Last edited by that_fjell_guy; 21-06-2016 at 01:05 PM.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I've been a fan of the Canon Powershot G series - had the G8 and then G9 and still use it as a lightweight alternative to my DSLR. The series have had plenty of upgrades since I got mine but they all retain most of the options you'd expect to see on a DSLR but with the obvious sacrifice on lens size.Not waterproof but put it in a small running sack and then in a plastic bag if it looks wet.
    I would post a link to some pictures on flickr I've taken with it but my workplace internet gestapo prevent such things!
    EDIT: Try searching Pete S on Flickr - don't use it much these days but anything prior to TWA 2013 is on a G9.
    Last edited by PeteS; 21-06-2016 at 04:07 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I run(sometimes) with a Canon G7 x. small, looks tough though I've never dropped it to test how tough. takes lovely scenery pics, transfers via wifi to your phone if you're in a hurry. example pic https://flic.kr/p/wxuQkL

some people take fantasic pics with it:
    https://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/powershot_g7_x/

It can be slow to wake up/take multiple pics, frustrating if you're trying to take pics of a race... but to stop and take pics of something when on a run we like it.

Rob.

A few people I know use the OLYMPUS STYLUS TG3 or TG4 (newer version)

Master
    I bought a Canon G9X specifically to run with, but despite getting a protective leather case for it, have not dared run with it yet. The photos it takes - when out walking - have sufficient detail to allow significant enlargement, which makes up for its limited telephoto abilities. When running I am currently using my old Canon Ixus 210.

Hey up FUTUREMATT
    Waterproof/tough cameras are also light and compact. They easily fit in a bumbag or a pocket and take the stress out of carrying a camera in bad weather. They can stand some abuse too. I have taken mine on training runs, fell races,three day mountain marathons and even on holiday; where it has been rained on, snowed on, dunked in puddles( a face-plant with it in my hand), dropped it on rocks and car park tarmac and still survived.
    Here is a list of 2016 tough waterproofs https://www.ephotozine.com/article/t...ras-2016-17302

I look forward to seeing some of you snaps

All the best
    Steve (sbrt)

PS My Olympus MJU is now dying, after about 8 years and I think Stolly has managed to kill a couple of his. They may be tough but they are not invincible.
    Last edited by sbrt; 22-06-2016 at 11:29 PM.

I've got an Olympus TG2 - waterproof, shockproof, dustproof, freezeproof. Fairly fast wide lens. Great for taking out and about.

Personally I if you care for your kit I wouldn't bother with one of the "tough" cameras as you are sacrificing picture quality. You haven't given any idea of price range so I'll give you a load of options across the range.

If you have an iPhone 6 you could do a lot worse that a Carl Zeiss Exolens, however if you want an actual camera:

Low price

Ricoh GR
    Fuji X70
    2nd hand Fuji x100 or x100s

Mid price

Fuji x100t
    2ND HAND Sony RX1R (full frame)

Money no object

Sony RX1R 2 (full frame)

Another thing to consider is you could ditch your dslr all together and go for a mirrorless set up. Here you could get a do it all body and matched with the right small lens you could easily get it in a bag with you. Ones I'd look at are Fuji XT10, XT1 (this is weather sealed) or anything from the Sony A7 range. The sonys 'll have a full frame sensor in a far smaller than dslr body.
    "That was the night everything changed"

The devil's own has pretty much nailed it in my opinion. Below are my thoughts however.

I run with a little Ricoh GR.
    It has a sensor the same size as a DSLR such as the OP's D90 and a fantastic paired 28mm lens. It's also fully manual should you wish it to be or has the normal DSLR type auto modes. It takes a lovely pic, its easy to use, pretty small and relatively fast, it also has snap focus with is great for a super quick snap shot (google ricoh gr for info).

Biggest drawback is its a fixed 28mm lens however if you can work with it you can get some fantastic shots.

Oh on a slight side note Nikon does a camera that is almost identical to the Ricoh GR should you be a Nikon fan boy type. I think the Ricoh is slightly better reviewed but not a lot in it

I did briefly own a Sony RX1 as mentioned by 'The Devils Own. The RX1 is also an amazing camera (its a full frame fixed lens camera that takes AMAZING pictures) but the auto focus is a bit lacking, the price is very high and I actually found the bulk to be a little more than i was comfortable carrying. I believe the RX1R2 is supposed to have very good focus speed but its still too expensive for me to want to carry in a pack and its still bulkier than I would like.

Micro 4/3 camera systems like the stuff made by Olympus comes very well reviewed and would also be good for your needs should you wish interchangeable lenses.

If its all about the quality then look at Sony A7 line but physics dictates although the body is smaller the lenses will still be bulky. Very good quality though as it also has the full frame sensor.

In short there are lots of options but I really do love my Ricoh GR and wouldn't part with it. It get a hell of a lot more use than my Nikon D600 full frame DSLR that seems to be gathering dust mostly.