Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Metrication

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Imperial = 1
    Metric = 568

Which is the easiest?
    568.261 if you want to be pedantic.

USA the problem? I think not - the problem lies in those floundering countries which make up that dastardly concoction called the EU. Yes whether you like it or not, GB built the greatest empire the world has ever known without need for metrication or any other such pernicious nonsense. I'll bet all you metric lovers are crying in your litres of pilsner piss water that passes for a man's drink since the more sensible members of the public voted for out! Nay and thrice nay I say!!! My most prized possession is a golden guinea passed on to me from my grandfather. He built locomotives at Beyer Peacock (look it up) some of which are still in use on the Indian sub continent - they were built in inches, feet, yards, hundred weights, tons. The sun is 93 million miles away from the earth and nobody, no thing certainly not any mish mash union of globalisation freaks will ever change that. Amen.

Right you can all change the subject now.

That should be Fudge the Troll!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge the Elf View Post
    USA the problem? I think not - the problem lies in those floundering countries which make up that dastardly concoction called the EU. Yes whether you like it or not, GB built the greatest empire the world has ever known without need for metrication or any other such pernicious nonsense. I'll bet all you metric lovers are crying in your litres of pilsner piss water that passes for a man's drink since the more sensible members of the public voted for out! Nay and thrice nay I say!!! My most prized possession is a golden guinea passed on to me from my grandfather. He built locomotives at Beyer Peacock (look it up) some of which are still in use on the Indian sub continent - they were built in inches, feet, yards, hundred weights, tons. The sun is 93 million miles away from the earth and nobody, no thing certainly not any mish mash union of globalisation freaks will ever change that. Amen.

Right you can all change the subject now.
    I like it, a nice bit of old-fashioned Top Gear style tell-it-like-it-is without beating about any politically correct bushes, with a smattering of Frankie Howerd thrown in for good measure. Makes me feel all nostalgic for the good old days. :-)

I'm surely missing the point of this topic, perhaps I should spend a fraction of my time thinking about it...

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I'm surely missing the point of this topic, perhaps I should spend a fraction of my time thinking about it...
    But that is the point, there is no (decimal) point.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Me a Troll! Well I have delved into holes in the ground in my caving days but surely this sort of thread belongs with the "it's alright he won't bite" kind of thing - a serious element yes but perfect for a bit of gentle lampoonery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    That should be Fudge the Troll!
    Anyway I'm just off to my local timber yard (get it - yard oh never mind) to buy some 3x2 - he understands perfectly well what I mean without the need for translation.

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge the Elf View Post
    .....to buy some 3x2 - he understands perfectly well what I mean without the need for translation.
    .....but only if you use imperial pronunciation.....

3 be-2.