Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News

News

I despise the News. All they ever want to do is spread alarm, misery and gloom.
    When the Aussie Bush fires were burning, all we ever heard about was how terrible things were.
    Now all the fires are out, do they even tell us all? Do they heck.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I think this is the fallout of having multiple 24hr News Channels, and constant access the instant news online... they've got to fill it with something.

We've always had winter storms, and I can remember much worse in my lifetime (i.e days without elec/water) than what we've experienced recently... yet if you watched the news you'd think the last couple of years have been living through the apocalypse... every bit of rain getting a name, etc.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    I despise the News. All they ever want to do is spread alarm, misery and gloom.
    When the Aussie Bush fires were burning, all we ever heard about was how terrible things were.
    Now all the fires are out, do they even tell us all? Do they heck.
    True. Nor do they put bad news into context. Maybe it’s got a long way to go, but The death toll in China from cv is still only 20% of the average flue deaths in the uk, in a country with over 20 times our population.

You need Facebook wheeze. Sees the lighter side.
    Like someone had scrawled into the mud on a white van ( normally which say no tools left overnight)
    With the message... “no loo rolls kept in this van overnight”

Alas on the stock market I think someone is mistaking the pin of Coronavirus from the far more serious bubble which is popping...us stocks are way overvalued even after the crash.

Master
    Nobody is forcing anybody to watch or listen to the news so why let it bother you ?
    Last edited by JohnK; 09-03-2020 at 04:01 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

True, John, true. But then I don't want to be like a hermit and know nothing about the world....its just i'd like some balance.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    True, John, true. But then I don't want to be like a hermit and know nothing about the world....its just i'd like some balance.
    I am a long way short of being a Hermit but I am selective on where I seek my information from on all the worldly subjects that interest me and just brush aside the dross that is of no interest.

Bit like reading forums really just block what is of no interest

Off to play in the mud and rain now HAPPY DAZE
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Bit like reading forums really just block what is of no interest
    Very true!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

If there was a TV show called "good news" would anyone watch it? I think it's part of human nature to be more interested in the bad stuff. I'm certainly interested in the COVID-19 "story". More so than the good news equivalents: e.g., the various (presumably ongoing) successful vaccination programmes for other diseases.

Banned
    Don't WATCH the news and certainly NEVER buy a paper.

Might read the odd bits on websites.

Making life so much better.

I work from home and have a number of options for stuff to have on in the background. I often had stuff recorded from the night before that the wife wouldn't fancy watching.
    It has to be easy to listen to without watching, so News/current affairs fits the bill.

Over the last few years I've gone off Sky News which used to cover 6:00am - 11:00am, the final straw was the recent switch of Kay Burley to 7:00am. I just find her style very irritating.

I've tried TalkSport, but Alan Brasil in the mornings is a bit grating.

I've settled on TalkRadio at the moment, gets me up to lunchtime. Then I might do Politics Live, or BBC Parliament, or Judge Judy.

Can't beat a bit of Judge Judy

Spring/Summer is great when the Cycling is on live on Eurosport. Paris Nice on now so things looking up
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell