Page 2 of 65 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: post brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Head View Post
    I'd already got my euros so no probs there
    Enough for the coming years as well? I'm impressed by your foresight.

I'm trying to come to terms with the fact I probably won't have a (NHS) dentist for the next xx years. Every single one for the last 10 years has been E.European and we are waiting for a replacement dentist now - some ruddy chance of one coming to the UK to start a career in the foreseeable future.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Super Moderator
    What a mess. What is the chance we will actually leave? 30%? And why if we do? What have we gained? My understanding is Control is a film about Joy Division

btw the Mail article the taxi driver posted a link to recently read like it was written by an 11 yet old. As I've said before God help us
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I have just returned from 5 days in Berlin (at a gathering of my [very] extended family, who had travelled from various parts of Germany, the UK, Switzerland, Israel and the USA). Although there was actually very little discussion of Brexit, I got the general impression that Germans regard the Brexit vote with the same sort of incredulity that we regard Americans who vote for Trump; although the Americans in our gathering were certain that their nation's level of stupidity exceeded ours.

Germany is emphatically NOT using the EU as a means for German domination of Europe, as has been alleged in some quarters. They are very conscious of their history, and are absolutely determined to prevent anything like Nazism ever happening again; and they see the EU as an important means of ensuring continued peace and tolerance. They want to be responsible citizens of Europe and the world; hence Angela Merkel's (somewhat rash?) statement last year welcoming refugees to Germany.

As for freedom of movement: I was in Berlin, where a few sections of the Wall can still be seen; freedom of movement is a sensitive subject there. I think Donald Trump should visit Berlin.

What worries me most at the moment, however, is the disarray in Britain's politics. I had predicted that a vote for Brexit would lead to the Tories tearing themselves apart, but I hadn't realised that Labour would beat them to it. And there is a deafening silence from the Lib Dems (or does Tim Farron have a cunning plan which involves lying low for a while?). If this mess leads to no-one actually starting the Article 50 process, my big worry is that it might lead to a greatly increased vote for UKIP at the next general election.

Here you are Lux, just for you. https://youtu.be/-a6HNXtdvVQ

This may contain the best name I've ever heard....dickweasel. Pure genius!

Once all the handwringing is over, lets gather up our energy and put it to good use instead of dissipating it in negativity.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    Of course not.

Returning to Brexit, I heard two old ladies discussing the future. One said "Now we're out of Europe, it's going to be like the good old days."

I'm still not certain what she had in mind: the Wall Street Crash, the Great Depression, or the Holocaust.
    perhaps this?
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by luxinterior View Post
    So all you folk that voted leave,regretting it yet?

Be back in recession before you know it
    Loads of racist attacks
    No one in charge of the country
    Immigration isn't going to get any less
    My euros going to cost me more

What a mess, well done!!!
    No regrets at all. It's too early to be making any assessment of the impact. The above summarises for me what has been wrong about the remain side all along. Too much talking the country down and negativity about our prospects.

I don't regret my vote.

There's an alarming amount of anger and abuse from the Remainers. I'm not quite sure what this stems from as it's not just with the referendum. This trend of anger when on the wrong side of a ballot has been around since the 2010 general election when the Lib Dems formed the coalition with the Tories.
    I think it's perhaps to do with social media.
    People who used to be reluctant to put their opinion out there at all, will now quite happily share an insulting and often offensive post around facebook.

But I also think it's because the "elite" in politics and the media have been telling is what and how we should think, closing down debates on topics like immigration and making them no go areas.

So this anger is a public display that largely means nothing as still most people don't get involved.

Evidence of this would be the public anger at the coalition and then the ensuing result at the 2015 general election that few saw coming.
    It is as if the majority are stepping back from showing what they really think for fear of the rent-a-mob jumping on them.

It was notable on Facebook prior to the referendum how people were unable to put their own thoughts down, but resorted to using links to articles, or shared jpegs to make a point.
    It's almost football terrace style politics, with people taking a position based on a dyed in the wool loyalty, but not knowing why.

I'd attribute that to both sides. There were Remainers for no good reason and Leavers for no good reason.

But that is democracy and that has always been the case.

Parliament in the summer is always in recess. PMs have been criticised for not recalling Parliament during he summer recess when issues have arisen.
    But the civil service runs the country, so there really isn't any need for concern.

When Parliament sits again, there will be a new PM and the process will start. Until then, the civil service, the embassy staff of the UK and our EU and RoW partners will be talking and drawing up scenarios that the politicians can consider.

So I see the summer as a little breathing space and time for reflection for those that will be guiding the process, allowing some of the heat to be taken out of the situation, on all sides.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I don't regret my vote.

There's an alarming amount of anger and abuse from the Remainers. I'm not quite sure what this stems from as it's not just with the referendum. This trend of anger when on the wrong side of a ballot has been around since the 2010 general election when the Lib Dems formed the coalition with the Tories.
    I think it's perhaps to do with social media.
    People who used to be reluctant to put their opinion out there at all, will now quite happily share an insulting and often offensive post around facebook.

But I also think it's because the "elite" in politics and the media have been telling is what and how we should think, closing down debates on topics like immigration and making them no go areas.

So this anger is a public display that largely means nothing as still most people don't get involved.

Evidence of this would be the public anger at the coalition and then the ensuing result at the 2015 general election that few saw coming.
    It is as if the majority are stepping back from showing what they really think for fear of the rent-a-mob jumping on them.

It was notable on Facebook prior to the referendum how people were unable to put their own thoughts down, but resorted to using links to articles, or shared jpegs to make a point.
    It's almost football terrace style politics, with people taking a position based on a dyed in the wool loyalty, but not knowing why.

I'd attribute that to both sides. There were Remainers for no good reason and Leavers for no good reason.

But that is democracy and that has always been the case.

Parliament in the summer is always in recess. PMs have been criticised for not recalling Parliament during he summer recess when issues have arisen.
    But the civil service runs the country, so there really isn't any need for concern.

When Parliament sits again, there will be a new PM and the process will start. Until then, the civil service, the embassy staff of the UK and our EU and RoW partners will be talking and drawing up scenarios that the politicians can consider.

So I see the summer as a little breathing space and time for reflection for those that will be guiding the process, allowing some of the heat to be taken out of the situation, on all sides.

For me I just don't understand why people did it - I honestly don't

I haven't heard one good reason why it is a good idea and the whole notion that it will stop immigration is I think false

So for me it has destabilised the country and one of few people in power that seems to be straight (Mark Carney) agrees 100%

Also we have a load of politicians that led us into this and have no conveniently walked away leaving the country to rot.

Of course it wont stop immigration, no one said it would or should. But immigration is not the same thing as free movement. I think thats what people felt uncomfortable with.
    The problem is that the euroblock is too diverse at the moment. The difference between Denmark, Romania and Portugal is too extreme.
    I hope this might make the Grand Planners of the Euro experiment take stock and try a different tack.
    For example, rather than plan for convergence between very different countries, why not plan for convergence between sensible blocs of countries.
    e.g there could be a Northern Bloc, Southern and Eastern which, over time could be converged. EU convergence worked when it was 7 or 8 largely similar countries but the recent acquisitions has destabilized the whole thing. I think thats what the herd subconsciously felt.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth