Page 64 of 65 FirstFirst ... 145462636465 LastLast

Thread: post brexit

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    How many phones have I dumped becasue of failing batteries? It is just not worth the cost of installing a new one, which would have be done by an unauthorised shop anyway.
    Come on Pat. They mostly had replaceable batteries until a few years ago.
    I ditched my Motorola flip from the late 90s by around 2003 not because of battery, but because technology had moved on.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    This is a fundamental flaw in the economic system: the system is set up to rely on the generation of waste, and yet the build-up of waste is one of the biggest environmental problems faced by the world today.

https://learn.tearfund.org/en/resour...cular_economy/

https://learn.tearfund.org/~/media/f...e-en.pdf?la=en
    As someone said, anybody who thinks that growth can continue indefinitely on a finite planet is either an idiot or an economist.

So I support the EU in their rather small efforts to alleviate the problem. Things need to change.
    So do you advocate population control? Because making a few gadgets that have a longer life isn't going to have any effect.

World_population_v3.svg.png
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

This is a fundamental flaw in the economic system: the system is set up to rely on the generation of waste, and yet the build-up of waste is one of the biggest environmental problems faced by the world today.

https://learn.tearfund.org/en/resour...cular_economy/

https://learn.tearfund.org/~/media/f...e-en.pdf?la=en
    As someone said, anybody who thinks that growth can continue indefinitely on a finite planet is either an idiot or an economist.

So I support the EU in their rather small efforts to alleviate the problem. Things need to change.
    They do need to change. Especially with recycling planning. The point about PC's and old phones is very valid. Growth will still be possible and actually enhanced if recycling incentivisation is given to both producers and consumers of goods. Growth will occur not only by producers continually introducing new and better versions of their products but also in the recycling business that is generated. Savvy manufacturers will work to own both ends of the process.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    They do need to change. Especially with recycling planning. The point about PC's and old phones is very valid. Growth will still be possible and actually enhanced if recycling incentivisation is given to both producers and consumers of goods. Growth will occur not only by producers continually introducing new and better versions of their products but also in the recycling business that is generated. Savvy manufacturers will work to own both ends of the process.
    Take cars.

McDonnell was on today saying we should be paying people to scrap perfectly good cars and give them cheap loans to but new electric ones.
    That assumes electric is the future.

It's bonkers.

Then he said he was against the road programme announced. Does he think these electric cars will fly from A to B?

My Mazda 3 was a green machine back in Sept 2016. I pay £0 annual road tax. Same car now is seen as bad and has higher road tax.

Governments have to be more careful. They shouldn't get involved in backing some technologies to the degree they are doing.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Come on Pat. They mostly had replaceable batteries until a few years ago.
    I ditched my Motorola flip from the late 90s by around 2003 not because of battery, but because technology had moved on.
    I just scrapped my pefectly good HTC M9 a couple of weeks ago, becaue the battery would barely last a day. As a challange, I had a go at replacing the battery myself (after buying a new phone) but gave up. I would not have to recycle the electrical device if I don't scrap it.

My old HTC (a phone I loved and did not want to replace) gives stirling service in the garage as a picture store for my motorcycle renovation projects and as a live video feed for my engine fibre optic scope. I was able to re purpose it to do jobs where battery longevity is not an issue.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    So do you advocate population control? Because making a few gadgets that have a longer life isn't going to have any effect.
    That's a non sequitur. No-one's talking about population control. What we need is to make sensible use of resources and not waste stuff, so that a large population can carry on and not make life impossible 50 or 100 years down the line.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    One of the reasons Brexiteers wanted out of the European union was to end freedom of movement. Yet within the Union now, some member states are banning freedom of movement. Austria has closed the door to Italians, Spain is in lockdown etc. Germany has banned the export of face masks so they have enough for themselves.

Not very inclusive this European Union. All turning nationalistic in a crisis with the heads of the Bureaucracy strangely quiet. I wonder what Pat Barry has to say about that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Wonder if the UK will follow sensible EU laws like this. Or will it be a case of:
    "if it is an EU law then by default it is bad".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...es-and-tablets
    Pat we're leaving the EU. Why? Because we've had it up to here with their laws and meddling. I want to be free not governed by people like you. I thank you.

That's a non sequitur. No-one's talking about population control. What we need is to make sensible use of resources and not waste stuff, so that a large population can carry on and not make life impossible 50 or 100 years down the line.
    They aren't talking about it because their evading the reality of their position.

We constantly hear politicians and experts telling us we need migration in the West because we aren't having enough kids.
    Well just maybe, we should allow the population to fall naturally and reduce the pressure on resources.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell